Revenue timing and reconciliation

A_A_CainA_A_Cain Oz Creator
My account lists a print book sold through Ingram's US, but with zero dollars revenue showing.

Is this a timing thing, where Lulu has received advice of the sale, but the dollars haven't been reconciled yet?  I'm guessing the distribution has different alerts.

Nice to know though - my very first print sale (other than my own proof copy)!

Best Answers

• A_A_CainA_A_Cain Oz Creator
    Accepted Answer
    Maggie said:
    It would be great to know what you find out.
    The tiny margin I thought I'd get from the global distribution partners was swallowed up by their "margin" and a slump in the Australian dollar.

Half the book price was the pod production cost - fair enough - but the other half went into Ingram's pocket as their "fee." Still, somebody bought the book, so I hope they liked it.

I see now how the on-line retailers line their pockets with the proceeds. A writer writes something, a computer does all the work to produce the book, and some shareholder somewhere gets a burger and fries, and I don't even get a coke.

It sucks, but it's the business model, not much can be done unless you excessively price the book, and then no-one buys it.

Answers

• MaggieMaggie Creator
    It shows your own sales with zero revenue. Therefore if you only have one sold, it's your proof purchase.

No, it's not my proof copy, I've already seen that one go through. This one is Ingram, so it's a sale after the proof copy was approved and global distribution triggered. Also, it's a US sale, my proofs were done here in Oz.
  • Hi A_A_Cain,

There are different markets and currency conversion can cause some fluctuation in earnings, but I will create a support case so that I can look into this for you.

• MaggieMaggie Creator

Maggie said:
    But then someone has just gone and bought one of everything (ebooks) direct from Lulu, which more than makes up for it!  

I did a nice thing yesterday, sent some money as a gift to someone doing it hard (an artist getting screwed by the legal system); so paying it forward paid off :).
  • MaggieMaggie Creator
    That's great.
    So you never found out what the zero revenue sale was?
    Using smart phone one can't see signatures. You might want to post the link to your ebook with every post. You never know who might be up to buying on a whim.

Maggie said:
    That's great.
    So you never found out what the zero revenue sale was?
    Using smart phone one can't see signatures. You might want to post the link to your ebook with every post. You never know who might be up to buying on a whim.
    Yes, Taylor sent me a PM, explaining the unknown factor of different pod costs in different regions - plus the Oz dollar slumped on the back of the trade war tit for tat, so the margin eroded to nothing.

Signature tip noted, I will go do that.
  • MaggieMaggie Creator
    So you have to raise your price to accommodate the exchange rate.

edited May 17
    Maggie said:
    So you have to raise your price to accommodate the exchange rate.
    When I set the prices a month ago the calculator showed an okay margin for each global distributor. I now see that it wasn't representative for all regions, so let's hope the initiative Paul has explained will make things easier for folk outside the US, where we have the added wrinkle of exchange movements.

Meanwhile, all I can do is keep an eye on it, and in all of my direct advertising point only to Lulu for sales. Indeed, one of the reasons I chose Lulu instead of Createspace was to avoid Amazon. This is why. But, at least I get some margin from e-books - it's only the print pricing I chose that has back-fired. It's the classic pricing dilemma - too high, nobody buys; too low, I pay for my own coffee. 
  • MaggieMaggie Creator
    Why can't you raise it? You can. People will pay.

• MaggieMaggie Creator
    Thank you for the signature fix!! So happy.

Maggie said:
    Why can't you raise it? You can. People will pay.
    You know, I just might. The buying fairy has waved her wand - I've just had someone else buy another set of the ebooks :).

I'd better stop fussing about one no-dollar book and get some more content prepared!
  • MaggieMaggie Creator
    And I hope you've opted for distribution. Mr Blue here, who writes in the same genre, is making a killing.

Maggie said:
    And I hope you've opted for distribution. Mr Blue here, who writes in the same genre, is making a killing.
    Yes, I have global distribution - some of the sales are coming from there already. The books went live around the time I started the "has anyone seen 'dodgy website'?" thread. I've set myself up an Amazon author's page (Barnes and Noble won't let me do that with erotica).
  • MaggieMaggie Creator
    I can't find you on Amazon.ca or Amazon.com.

edited May 19
    Maggie said:
    I can't find you on Amazon.ca or Amazon.com.

Here's my Amazon Author's Page:
    https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B07QWFQVJB?ref_=pe_1724030_132998070

Amazon Canada just clicked on to that one, but I had to set up a separate UK page. Australia Amazon doesn't have Author Central at all.