Why is cream paper limited?

A_A_CainA_A_Cain Oz Creator
I've tried a couple of different book size formats using the same content, and far prefer the look and feel of cream paper over white (the lower contrast, I think, makes it easier on the eye). But the cream paper is only available in small number of sizes, which is a little annoying; and it's a double whammy because the small pocket-book size is only distributed through the behemoth Amazon. 

Why is the paper stock a selective thing? I would have thought a printer would be able to manage both paper types, regardless of book size.

Comments

• MaggieMaggie Creator
    Lulu used to offer many more sizes and other print options. They had to remove the least used options, I guess for efficiency and ease. Just a business decision.

I love 6x9 cream interior. It also has distribution and is common to all PODs. You can increase length of content in many ways if that is the issue.

• A_A_CainA_A_Cain Oz Creator
    Maggie said:
    Lulu used to offer many more sizes and other print options. They had to remove the least used options, I guess for efficiency and ease. Just a business decision.

I love 6x9 cream interior. It also has distribution and is common to all PODs. You can increase length of content in many ways if that is the issue.
    Yes, I guess - they go where the volume is. I ended up with the 6x9 cream as well for two of my books (including the one where you liked the cover). But as you know, I'm an erotica writer, and the idea of a set of smaller books to read on the bus (which is how Fifty Shades took off) - the pocket books with cream paper would have been perfect ;).
  • MaggieMaggie Creator
    No one can see anymore, because of all the screen time. And, your book looks like it could be Lady Chatterley's Lover. People will read it anywhere, in any size.

• I'm happy to mention that on our new platform Lulu Xpress, you can choose different sizes, binding, and paper types including the cream paper.

Our new platform will be using the same options that are on Lulu Xpress.

With our new platform, we are able to offer more options and customization to our authors that are not currently available on Lulu.com.
  • A_A_CainA_A_Cain Oz Creator
    I'm happy to mention that on our new platform Lulu Xpress, you can choose different sizes, binding, and paper types including the cream paper.

Our new platform will be using the same options that are on Lulu Xpress.

With our new platform, we are able to offer more options and customization to our authors that are not currently available on Lulu.com.
    Which begs the question, can my Lulu account here be joined up with Lulu Xpress, or do I need to set up a separate account? Are the distribution services the same?

Is there a migration plan to join the services up? Right now, they seem to be separate, but does "Our new platform..." mean there is a plan to merge the two? It's not clear to me.
  • A_A_Cain said:

Is there a migration plan to join the services up? Right now, they seem to be separate, but does "Our new platform..." mean there is a plan to merge the two? It's not clear to me.
    There is a plan to bring all Lulu products under a single account. We're actually pretty close to having details we can start to share with users. 
    In the end, all the products offered on xPress will be available through Lulu.com.