Before completing your order, please take a moment to review information about potential delivery delays.

Due to closures, travel restrictions, and prioritization of vital services, some parcel deliveries may experience delays. Please check with your carrier of choice to verify your location can receive deliveries. In some instances, some deliveries may no longer be possible.
Read More.

What Kind of Books?

2»

Comments

• LarikaLarika Bibliophile
    edited November 2018
    Quantum Mechanics is scary Skoob!!!! Even Einstein was suspicious of QM. "Despite opening the way to a new physics, Einstein maintained a strange relationship of suspicion toward the views held by those leading this vibrant new field of science. Physicists such as Heisenberg or Schrödinger introduced with ease concepts that deviated from realism, such as that the actions of the observer determined the properties of the system, or that an atom could be intact and disintegrated at the same time (or that a cat could be alive and dead at the same time, as in Schrödinger’s most famous metaphorical example)." Open Mind
  • There is more to our world than we can know.”

What do you make of that experience?

That there's more to mental health than she knows? But that's just what she claims. Where's the proof? And what are her credentials? Mental nurse? Doctor? Cleaner? 

• Apparently not. In the same manner that a nuke does not have to be as big as a car (400 backpack ones were made in the 1950s). It's just a matter of the right technology being developed, and $billions are spent on weapons research. But it is more practical to knock out a modern tank than to nuke an entire city.

There is a practical limit to how small the device can be made, and the miniaturization relies on reflection. You still need a critical mass under those conditions. Developing the right technology will not change the nature of U238,

no P239 then? And how do you know what technology will be capable of in even ten years? If you told people a few years ago it would be possible to create a small sun, they would have said, impossible. 

nor make the strong nuclear force abate peacefully.

But then again, I was not saying use a nuke for EMPs. Did we not discount those?  

And if you set off a nuclear explosion in a small room, you are not going to be concerned about the radio not working.

I would be a bit miffed if my broadband went off.

If it were caused by a nuclear explosion, the neutron flux and gamma radiation would be bigger issues than whether you could download Minecraft updates.

Gosh, I don't play games! 

• Kevin, U238 acts as a neutron reflector. It is the only known substance that does. Wrapping a Pu239 core in U238, with a non-burnable poison that can be removed milliseconds before the core implosion, is how "back-pack nukes" (which are still way too heavy for a back-pack) were developed.

Radionuclides are pretty much known, and all the blanks in the periodic table are filled up through 118.

• Larika said:
    Quantum Mechanics is scary Skoob!!!! Even Einstein was suspicious of QM. "Despite opening the way to a new physics, Einstein maintained a strange relationship of suspicion toward the views held by those leading this vibrant new field of science. Physicists such as Heisenberg or Schrödinger introduced with ease concepts that deviated from realism, such as that the actions of the observer determined the properties of the system, or that an atom could be intact and disintegrated at the same time (or that a cat could be alive and dead at the same time, as in Schrödinger’s most famous metaphorical example)." Open Mind

It really does sound like we're living in the matrix, doesn't it? :)
  • I love where these threads go!  One second After, is a pretty good read exploring an EMP strike on the US.

"I assume you've already read Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe? For me, the best one was So Long and Thanks For All The Fish..." I actually haven't read the others, I somehow wound up with this old paperback on my shelf and it really is fun to read. I'd like to do the others. 
    Back to the original question on this thread regarding ebook/paper. I have a stipulation that you guys might not be dealing with. I have my 7 and 9 year old girls observing my actions at home, and  I feel like they can't tell if I am reading on my phone or just wasting time, so I prefer for them to see me with a printed book in front of me. I have a book on my phone about a chess player who's car blows up that I would really like to finish, but I just don't want my kids to see me scrolling through my phone. 

So, with writing, reading two books and fixing my car, I'm pretty scattered right now
    Tim Reinholt Author of Pow, a ski bum heist adventure
  • is how "back-pack nukes" (which are still way too heavy for a back-pack) were developed.

Obviously they are not. And they were developed over 50 years ago.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/25-years-us-special-forces-carried-miniature-nukes-their-backs-180949700/

Granted they were not very practical but when has that ever stopped munitions development? They had nuke artillery shells, too.

https://www.revolvy.com/page/Nuclear-artillery

But I see there's no point in arguing. 

• It really does sound like we're living in the matrix, doesn't it?

Ah, so you are saying that anything is possible?! Perhaps not right now, but the 'problem' with scientists and inventors is they will try to do things, just to see if they can, even if some others insist it is impossible, and often found to be wrong. And governments and companies will give them the dosh to spend on it.

• Back to the original question on this thread regarding ebook/paper. I have a stipulation that you guys might not be dealing with. I have my 7 and 9 year old girls observing my actions at home, and  I feel like they can't tell if I am reading on my phone or just wasting time,

Do they also read? Far too many people think that reading a book in any way is "just wasting time."

so I prefer for them to see me with a printed book in front of me. I have a book on my phone about a chess player who's car blows up that I would really like to finish, but I just don't want my kids to see me scrolling through my phone.

Why worry? before long they may join the billions of people who seem to have a smartphone superglued to their hand.

• be the change you want to see in the world. They are avid readers with very limited screen time.
  • Seamus, good on you for teaching them that reading is fun, and for setting a good example. If I were you I'd buy them all the books their little shelves can handle. You might want to pre-read them first, though...

And the fact that "Daddy wrote a book!" is not a bad thing either, though you probably don't want them reading it for a long time to come.

• Haha, Thanks Skoob, yeah, they know some character names and that it's about skiing, but beyond that I've had to shoo them away from reading over my shoulder