Original author's name on pubic domain books

I'm going to do a reinterpation of Mushashi's book of five rings. I found one already done by a Karate master who goes by the rank of Hanshi or tenth degree. I was expecting commentaries etc but all that was done was a few words replaced here and there to make it fit his thinking of martial arts. I plan to much more than that in mine but to get to my question, do I need to put Mushashi's name on cover as author? This mentioned author above did not but put himself down as the author. I do plan to put the original title in the subtitle but what about author's names? Here is the cover of other guy's book and you can see what I mean. Good book but was a little disappointed as someone with his rank could have added much more to the book.

s-l225.jpg

Comments

• NDLineGeekNDLineGeek Reader Reader

I don't have an answer to your question but I AM interested in the answer.

I've found a book that had been privately published in the early 1980s (it was composed on either an IBM-PC or a TRS80 and printed on a dot-matrix printer, and the pages with pictures had the captions done on a typewriter). This book has NO copyright page, the author passed away 20 years ago, and his children are all in their 70s / 80s.

I digitized his book, mainly for something to read (as originals are crazy tough to come by), but I've also had a passing thought or two about making a reprint of this book.

• potetjppotetjp Professor Professor

I am preparing the edition of an out-of-print Pilipino lexicon of scientific and technical terms presented by fields (math., physics, etc.). The author (Gonsalo del Rosario) has been dead for a long time; nobody knows who owns the copyrights; and the original publisher refuses to deal with it again. As it is of interest to some linguists I have sorted the entries in alphabetical order and created two lists - an English-Pilipino one and a Pilipino-English one, both in alphabetical order. I am now the editor of the new version, a bilingual lexicon, and state so on the cover, while naming the author, as you can see below. Pending legal matters are settled, I'll keep my edition private.

TAG-NEO-small.jpg

• Em_PressEm_Press Professor Professor

JesusNinja,

You will get more sales if you do mention the original author name somewhere in the subtitle. Example, An Analysis of Mushashi's Five Rings or Mushashi's Five Rings for Today's World, or Making Mushashi's Five Rings Relevant Today. You get the idea.

A citizen of the world.

• Ron MillerRon Miller Professor Professor

NDLineGeek wrote:

I don't have an answer to your question but I AM interested in the answer.

I've found a book that had been privately published in the early 1980s (it was composed on either an IBM-PC or a TRS80 and printed on a dot-matrix printer, and the pages with pictures had the captions done on a typewriter). This book has NO copyright page, the author passed away 20 years ago, and his children are all in their 70s / 80s.

I digitized his book, mainly for something to read (as originals are crazy tough to come by), but I've also had a passing thought or two about making a reprint of this book.

The book does not need a copyright page to be under copyright. The typescript was legally protected by copyright the moment it was completed. In the words of the US Copyright Office: "Copyright exists from the moment the work is created."

TheJesusNinja wrote:

I'm going to do a reinterpation of Mushashi's book of five rings. I found one already done by a Karate master who goes by the rank of Hanshi or tenth degree. I was expecting commentaries etc but all that was done was a few words replaced here and there to make it fit his thinking of martial arts. I plan to much more than that in mine but to get to my question, do I need to put Mushashi's name on cover as author? This mentioned author above did not but put himself down as the author. I do plan to put the original title in the subtitle but what about author's names? Here is the cover of other guy's book and you can see what I mean. Good book but was a little disappointed as someone with his rank could have added much more to the book.

s-l225.jpg

If you did not write the original book it wouldn't be very ethical to put your name on the cover as the author. What you might want to do is something like "By Mushashi, edited and revised by YourName," or whatever terms would best describe the role you played.

What I had in mind was something like  Five Rings of Kung Fu : Mushashi's Five Rings for the Kung Fu Practitioner by Master Rick Wilcox. Not my real title. Something along those lines. I would be adding quite a bit of commentary under his writing so would be adding much more content. Think this would work as far as ethics go? The book I showed in my earlier post did nothing like this , only changed a word here and there. Much like people making a Taoist Christian book out of the Tao te ching but doing nothing but changing Tao for the word God. I plan on doing much more.

TheJesusNinja wrote:

What I had in mind was something like  Five Rings of Kung Fu : Mushashi's Five Rings for the Kung Fu Practitioner by Master Rick Wilcox. Not my real title. Something along those lines. I would be adding quite a bit of commentary under his writing so would be adding much more content. Think this would work as far as ethics go? The book I showed in my earlier post did nothing like this , only changed a word here and there. Much like people making a Taoist Christian book out of the Tao te ching but doing nothing but changing Tao for the word God. I plan on doing much more.

I think the way you have worded the title suggests that your book is about Mushashi's original, which makes the credit sound reasonable.

My intention is using a copy of Five rings and under various paragraphs or chapters adding an application to kung fu practitioners. For example in one chapter Mushashi explains that there are only five ways of defense, high, middle, low, and left and right side. In kung fu we would use heaven, earth, and man levels and yin would be our left or receptive side and yang would be our right or power side.  As the author I mentioned before did, change some of the words to apply more to kung fu and Taoist thought rather and Japanese or Buddhist thought as Mushashi has. I'd go much more in detail about that. I think this would explain more about what my intentions are. But basically using Five rings as the core or skeleton of the book.

• Skoob_ymSkoob_ym Teacher Teacher

TJN, I think that that would be a very good way to title the book.

Mentioning Mushashi's Book of Five Rings makes it clear that you are analyzing Mushashi's text and his philosophies. Thus you are not stealing his work and publishing it as your own; you are publishing your commentary on what is acknowledged to be his work.

Be sure to use keywords such as "Mushashi" "Book of Five Rings" "Go Rin No Sho" and similar keywords.

Also, you might want to include an appendix with a few words about Mushashi's life -- that he was raised in Bushido, that he was born in the Samurai class but lived as a Ronin, that he won his first duel at the age of thirteen, &c. Also, his final duel, against Kojiro should be mentioned. Kojiro was a highly seasoned fighter, and used a longer-than-usual sword. Kojiro was the originator of the "Swallow Tail Cutting" method that we often see displayed with tatami sword testings. For Mushashi to win against him was a significant victory.

I'm sure that you've already considered how Mushashi's statements, such as his references to not being attached to worldly things, have parallels in Christian thought.

Personally, I like his statement -- not sure the source -- that one may use a strategy once, or perhaps twice, but never three times in a row.

Anyway, enjoy the writing! I look forward to seeing the book!

• TheJesusNinjaTheJesusNinja Teacher Teacher
    Skoob we use the same strategy at our school My teacher says that if it's taking more than 3 tec's to down your opponent you better change your strategy fast. He also says that after 3 moves you lose energy. So might have come from Five Rings who knows.
  • NDLineGeekNDLineGeek Reader Reader

Ron Miller wrote:
    The book does not need a copyright page to be under copyright. The typescript was legally protected by copyright the moment it was completed. In the words of the US Copyright Office: "Copyright exists from the moment the work is created." 

Good information - thank you.

Ron Miller wrote:

potetjp wrote:

Ron Miller wrote:

But you still need to be sure to get permission for the use of the original copyright.

TheJesusNinja wrote:

Skoob where did you learn so much about Mushashi? LOL...

A friend of mine studies Iwado Kae Kai (sp?) and he was telling me about Miyamoto Mushashi. Apparently he was the Billy-the-Kid of Feudal Japan. I was struck by the fact that he had such a command of psychology, and of gaining an advantage by never doing the expected thing. If something interests me, I read up on it... So that's why I know a little about Mushashi.

In his last duel, he made a bokken out of a boat oar, and vowed never to use another katana. Fascinating fellow.

• TheJesusNinjaTheJesusNinja Teacher Teacher

Mushashi's skill did get that good from what I read. But I think the reason he carved out the oar was because the guy he was going to duel used a longer sword. So he carved out an even longer sword from the oar. He beat the guy by just an inch or two. He also showed up late which angered his opponent who rushed him without thinking. Bad mistake. Mushashi would sometimes show up early and hide expecting ambushes which did happen. The bad part he never bathed because he didn't want to be caught off guard at anytime. There are 3 movies about him called Samuari 1, 2, and 3. Very good films. The Seven Samuari is a good black and white film done in the fifties I think.

TheJesusNinja a écrit :

The bad part he never bathed because he didn't want to be caught off guard at anytime. 

Hard to believe for two reasons:

1) he would have been kicked out of everywhere as the Japanese are very clean.

2) he would have stinked / stunk to high heavens, hence would have been detected by his enemies even when hiding in a bush

• It is a childrens book. I do have limited funds..

Colby2007 a écrit :

It is a childrens book. I do have limited funds..

One more reason to publish with Lulu; all it will cost you is one copy at manufacturing price + tax + postage. In your case less that $20. Smiley Happy