Before completing your order, please take a moment to review information about potential delivery delays.

Due to closures, travel restrictions, and prioritization of vital services, some parcel deliveries may experience delays. Please check with your carrier of choice to verify your location can receive deliveries. In some instances, some deliveries may no longer be possible.
Read More.

Casewrap binding

Does Lulu's casewrap binding allow a book to open out and lie flat like a high-quality hardback, or is it more like a perfect-bound paperback? Might it depend on the printer who prints and binds it to order?

I am looking for the best binding/format for a Large Print edition.

Comments

• potetjppotetjp Professor

By default, no, but if you flatten it a bit, yes. Of course it will always be stiffer than a paperback, but the quality is superb.

• Thank you. Are you saying that the spine is or is not flexible like a high-quality hardback? When you say it needs flattening down, do you mean that the spine needs creasing the samw way as with a perfect-bound paperback, or what? I really need the details here, so I can make my own value judgements.

How dependent is it on the printer who happens to bind it?

• potetjppotetjp Professor

steelpillow a écrit :

Thank you.

You are welcome.

Are you saying that the spine is or is not flexible like a high-quality hardback?

No it is not as flexible as a high-quality hardback with sewn signatures, that costs about 40€.

When you say it needs flattening down, do you mean that the spine needs creasing the same way as with a perfect-bound paperback, or what?

The hard outer spine won't be creased because it is a solid piece of cardboard. The inner spine is flexible, and is not glued to the outer spine. The book is attached to its hard cover by a first and a last page in strong paper that are added by the printer.

How dependent is it on the printer who happens to bind it?

I have no idea. All my books are printed in France, and the result is excellent.

• Thank you.