Coloring book paper types/options

Does Lulu have the ability to print a children's coloring book on unbleached/natural paper of some sort (similar to a newsprint)? The posts I could find on the topic said no, but they were over 5 years old.

I do not want a glossy finish for a coloring book. I would like it to be on 50-60 pound paper just like a coloring book you would walk into a retail store and buy. Thanks you!

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

Does Lulu have the ability to print a children's coloring book on unbleached/natural paper of some sort (similar to a newsprint)?

I doubt you would want a colouring book on such paper, it's better white and that's what Lulu's is. The Value option my not be pure white, but ti think it's also thinner paper.

The posts I could find on the topic said no, but they were over 5 years old.

POD has not changed much in those years.

I do not want a glossy finish for a coloring book.

They are not glossy, regardless of if white or off-white. The Calendar and Photoalbum Studio Wizards use glossy paper, but the 'normal' book ones do not.

I would like it to be on 50-60 pound paper just like a coloring book you would walk into a retail store and buy. Thanks you!

It depends on what books you have looked at, they are not all the same, and I doubt they are 50-60gsm, that's about literally like a newspaper. Even the Value options here are 74gsm. The other grades are 89gsm.

http://www.lulu.com/create/books

• potetjppotetjp Professor

Many children put in a lot of energy when they colour books. I don't think a cheap paper would be appropriate.

• Thanks for you answers! This is our first time printing a coloring book and we were going off of suggestions (unbleached, 50 lb, etc) of a local printer. We brought in a very nicely made colring book and told him we were looking to print something similar and that was what he told us. It looks like we need to do more research!

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

No you don't we have just told you  Smiley Very Happy

Just try a test run through a Lulu Wizard (set on Private) order a Proof (at cost) and see and feel what results.

• @kacameron77

If you are planning to place this book into distribution, you will have to choose the Premium product line to get the ISBN. This product line uses coated paper to prevent color bleed through.

If you plan to sell only on Lulu or through your website, you can choose the Standard product line which uses uncoated white paper.

As someone suggested, you can create a book in both producct lines and test them using pencils, crayons and markers.

• Hi.  Read the previous comments on this subject, yet am still not clear about couple of points.  Before I actually create a book with Lulu online, I would prefer to know page thickness options.  Usual 80 gsm is insufficient width to take watercolour or certain inks.   bleedthrough or buckling.  Looking at some Amazon reviews, there are plenty of complaints for a thin paper.  Colouring books I have bought myself feel like they are around 120-160 gsm. (Do not know how this equates to pounds as mentioned.)  I do some artwork (watercolour etc) and would like to be clear that what  I create will match successful commercial books in print quality.  Many thanks,

Myra