Font??

So what would you suggest is the best font to use and size for a short story book using the digest sized book?

Comments

• It depends in part on the font face. For Times New Roman, eleven is probably appropriate. For Garamond, I am finding that twleve point is a minimum. Under no circumstances should you go with ten point or smaller in my opinion.

• I researched this one because every time I asked about preferred fonts I got "Whatever you want is fine"

From the small bit of research I did I learned:

Times New Roman does not always print right.

If you are looking at an audience that is over 40 consider at least a 12 font (I personally agree with this one as a reader. I have not purchased several books in print and ordered them kindle specifically because the font was hard to read)

Research reccommended a palatino font as standard.  I tried it and actually like the way it looked for a novel.  On the computer 12 point Palantino looks a bit large, but I haven't seen the book on paper so I cannot say.. yet.

How much white space do you expect? If you are expecting more white space (i.e. A book of Haiku poems) the font can be a part of the style and beauty.

Just tossing in my 2 cents.

• Thank you both for your comments i thought as i am aiming at an audience 18+ to say late 20's early 30's and the type of book i went with Times New Roman with 11 as the size. This was very helpful thank you again! I researched and found it difficult to find anything. There's plenty of options but I really needed somthing that would look professional and wasn't too big. My book is a series of short stories which are all linked. I have them in seperate books however I thought seeing as they were all short I may put them in just one book. It made more sense. 

• potetjppotetjp Professor

Times New Roman, 12pts. Never go below 12pts, unless you want your text to look cheap, and make it uncomfortable to read.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

I researched this one because every time I asked about preferred fonts I got "Whatever you want is fine"

That's not true because the font has to be easy on the eye and easy to read and not all are, it's said that serif fonts are easier to read.

From the small bit of research I did I learned:

Times New Roman does not always print right.

Not at all true, It's one of the commonest in use and invented by the actual Times (London) newspaper in 1931.

If you are looking at an audience that is over 40 consider at least a 12 font (I personally agree with this one as a reader.

That can be true, but much larger fonts are also ideal for young children. Large Type books, which are not often published (for people with poor eyesight) do go above 12pnt also. But people can just wear reading glasses now, which can be had for as little as £6.

I have not purchased several books in print and ordered them kindle specifically because the font was hard to read)

Interesting. Which books? Do you have the links? I am currently reading a print book and it looks to be 9 pnt Comic Sans, strangely.

Research reccommended a palatino font as standard.  I tried it and actually like the way it looked for a novel.

Unless one uses hardly ever used fonts, most are based around TNR anyway. I use Garamond at 12pnt, because it's sort of TTN with a few tweeks. It's also one that can be used on Lulu without embedding in to a PDF. Do not forget that Lulu have a list of fonts the Wizards can handle in docx, etc.

On the computer 12 point Palantino looks a bit large, but I haven't seen the book on paper so I cannot say.. yet.

Print out samples. Monitors rarely show real sizes even at 100% setting. Palantino is the same size as TNR and almost identical in looks so you may as well use TNR. Garamond is a bit smaller than both and a good font to read.

How much white space do you expect? If you are expecting more white space (i.e. A book of Haiku poems) the font can be a part of the style and beauty.

The spacing is a different setting as set up via Paragraph options.