Is there another way to add the lulu logo to the spine without republishing the book?

I recently published a book and ordered a hard copy. Found mistakes and fixed them and then republished the book and bought another copy to look over. After republishing the book and ordering the second copy I looked at the first copy and noticed that I forgot to add the lulu logo to the spine. If I create a new revision to add the logo to the spine and republish the book I'd have to buy another copy because I am planning on getting distribution for the book. Is there another way to add the lulu logo to the spine without republishing the book?

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius Lulu Genius

Why would you wish to? You are the publisher.

• potetjppotetjp Professor Professor

I always add it. If I forgot, like you, I'd do a revision, and order a new copy.

• Paul_LuluPaul_Lulu Admin Admin

Sadly, you will have to do a revision to make the update to the spine, and if you have the book in distribution that will prompt another proof copy purchase. 

• lovebuglenalovebuglena Author Author

I have always added the Lulu logo to my books so people know where I published the book. And if I wasn't able to add the logo because the book wasn't big enough page-wise I'd write the Lulu name on the spine.

For all my books I have used the Lulu-owned ISBNs. When I get an ISBN from Lulu it says that Lulu acts as publisher so I thought that meant that Lulu is the publisher of my books and in the copyright page I always wrote Published by Lulu Press. Was I wrong in doing that?

I would do a revision but I would have to buy the book again as I am distributing it, which would be the third copy bought and that is something I wanted to avoid.

• oncewasoncewas Librarian Librarian

This seems like one of those murky grey areas.

You are the publisher because you are engaged in self-publishing
    and Lulu is the medium through which you publish. If it were not
    for the ISBN there would be no question that Lulu is not the
    publisher. You, as the publisher, would have acquired the ISBN
    and decided what to publish (that what you choose to publish
    is your own work is neither here nor there).

However, I am led to believe that because Lulu provides the
    ISBN they need to be listed as publisher in some instances
    (perhaps the moderators could confirm this) but I certainly
    would not use that as a reason to put the Lulu logo on the
    spine. There is no kudos to be gained by doing that; you
    could publish a list of all the meals you prepared in any
    one given month on Lulu if you so wished. This clearly is not
    the same as saying that you have been published by a major
    publishing house.

Well, I thought that Lulu was the publisher since I used their ISBNs and usually published books have the publisher's logo on the spine and that is one of the reasons I did it. But, I also did it so people knew where I published the book... I always listed Lulu as the publisher and no one from Lulu ever contacted me to tell me that that was wrong.

In principle Lulu is listed as the publisher when we use their ISBNs, and if any one with a scanner wants to order more copies the ISBN tells them where from, but in reality we are the publisher.

The back pages of all my books have an advert for my own site which is full of my books and where they can be obtained, that's really all anyone wants to know.

And I am not being offensive to anyone in particular but it's not always wise to mark a book as Self-Published. However, if you wish to mark it as such then the other postings are correct.

BTW. It will only go on the spine if there's room, but I think it will also go on the back cover.

• Em_PressEm_Press Professor Professor

Because I think it's important, I will emphasize the points of the previous posters; Do not add the Lulu logo on the spine. Create your own logo and add that.

Does Random House add the logo of their printer on their spine? Even if the printer were to lend them some ISBNs. 

A citizen of the world.

I didn't know lulu was considered a printer...

Should I not be putting on my copyright page anymore - Published by Lulu Press and instead say Published by me (Lena Kovadlo) even thought the ISBNs belong to them? 

• potetjppotetjp Professor Professor

lovebuglena a écrit :

Should I not be putting on my copyright page anymore - Published by Lulu Press and instead say Published by me (Lena Kovadlo) even thought the ISBNs belong to them? 

If I were you, I shouldn't bother with that. For distributors, Lulu is the publisher, while you are the copyright owner. Add the Lulu logo if your spine is thick enough for it.  Smiley Happy

In theory that is all they are, plus getting the books listed with distribution sources via the ISBNs.

Who wrote it? Who proofread and edited it? Who created the layout? Who then placed it into a Wizard? Who did the cover? Who then possibly promotes it? So yes, you are the publisher.

Have you not noticed in a section of the Wizard you can add the name of the publisher? to appear on your Spotlight, etc?

But I would make up a publishing name rather than use your name as the publisher also. How about LK Publishing?