What's the average wait for delivery in the UK

I ordered a proof-print paperback - Value digest, perfect bound paperback. Shipping vial ordinary mail.

It shipped on the 22nd June. The info says that the estimated delivery time is 4-7 business days. Not counting the day it shipped, it's now in the 9th business day.

What's the real average delivery time for this format in the UK, does anyone know?

Anyone know where the printer is that prints these? Clearly not in the UK.

Also, as Lulu don't track mail or refund for lost items, what actual process do they have in place to check that the book actually was printed and shipped?

(I'm kinda hoping that posting here will be like making a doctor's appointment when you're ill - you almost always feel fine when you wake up on the day of the appointment. So maybe posting here to ask how long will make it majically appear....or not.)

Comments

• Hello Archeologist

Usually, delivery in the UK is quite punctual. I suggest you submit a support request. When we return to the office on Monday, someone from our support team will have a look and get back to you with more information.

• potetjppotetjp Professor

There is heat wave in Western Europe at the moment and Muslim employees are doing Ramadan.So expect a lot of disruptions.

• Will do, thanks.

I didn't want to jump the gun if this was a normal sort of delay, but I really need to see that proof print before I decide which format to use first for volume 1. I've been trying out different sizes and fonts to see what they look like (and have something to scribble on while editing.)

edit -  I just filed a case. The automated email contradicts the information on the website about delivery times. The website says 4-7 business days for mail, but the email says 14 days. Why the discrepancy?

If the website gave that same information I would have known to wait a little longer, AND might have chosen a different delivery option.

• The expected delivery date is indeed 4-7 business days.

However, we will not replace the order until we are sure the package has been lost - hence the 14 day waiting period listed in the automated response.

I hope this clears up any confusion.

• Yes thank you. Makes sense.

No sign of it yet, and it's 14 days (including Sat and Sun)  today. When the help people are in work (I know it's not business hours in the States yet) and get to my help request, I hope they can tell me where the printer is. If it's coming from Europe somewhere, the problems at Calais last week may be the cause of the delay.

Regards

PJ

• Got to say, this is really not impressive!

This was my 4th order from here and so far only one order actually reached me without problems.

Now admittedly, the first one (Priority mailed) was partly my own fault (I got the postcode wrong and Lulu's system chopped off part of the first line as well) but it did reach me eventually.

The second one went by DPD and I had to eventually email them instructions how to find our office because the driver hadn't been able to spot St Mary's Church, on St. Mary's Street, even though the street is short and there is only one church on it and it's right up beside the road with our office sign by it.

The third one did reach me ok (that one was a replacement for a one of the delayed ones and came via Fedex, an option I can't afford usually.)

Now the fourth one sent via mail is is a full week overdue.

So even if I don't count the first one (as it was partly my fault), that's only a 33% success rate of books actually arriving within the stated times. Is this usual? How is it that I can get a freepost item off Ebay or Amazon, sent from China, which reaches me without a problem but a paid delivery of a book from (presumably) somewhere in the EU can't make it?

How can I ask people to buy books from here when the deliveries seem to be so unreliable?

Is it always like this?

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

potetjp wrote:

There is heat wave in Western Europe at the moment and Muslim employees are doing Ramadan.So expect a lot of disruptions.

The place does not grind to a halt due to heat, and Muslims are not allowed time off work to celebrate religious habits. No religion is, and most are Catholics anyway. Was that tongue in cheek?

• potetjppotetjp Professor

kevinlomas a écrit :

potetjp wrote:

The place does not grind to a halt due to heat, and Muslims are not allowed time off work to celebrate religious habits. No religion is, and most are Catholics anyway. Was that tongue in cheek?

LOL, as I suspect, Kevin, your live on another planet.

• Wow!

Now even less impressed.

The website says 4-7 days

the automated email said allow 14 days for a delivery in Europe, and the reply I just got from customer 'support' says it could take 28 days and to get back to them if I don't get it by then???

Seriously?

Why the heck should I bother uploading any books here? How can I tell people, yes you can buy my books from Lulu but don't expect to actually ever receive them?

potetjp wrote:

kevinlomas a écrit :

potetjp wrote:

LOL, as I suspect, Kevin, your live on another planet.

No, I live in Europe.

Archaeologist wrote:

Wow!

Now even less impressed.

The website says 4-7 days

the automated email said allow 14 days for a delivery in Europe, and the reply I just got from customer 'support' says it could take 28 days and to get back to them if I don't get it by then???

Seriously?

Why the heck should I bother uploading any books here? How can I tell people, yes you can buy my books from Lulu but don't expect to actually ever receive them?

Well with an ISBN you could suggest they buy from Amazon? Or also create it as an ePub or PDF with no printing times or costs or shipping times or costs.

But do not forget that some book type and size choices Lulu offer are are only printed in the USA.

• Answers to my questions:

1 - Is it normal for books ordered from Lulu to take considerably longer to arrive than the times stated on their website for priority mail and mail?

Answer: Yes, it it normal.

2 - What is the normal wait  time for such books to actually arrive after they have been despatched?

Answer: 3-4 weeks (According to their own customer support)

3: Why hasn't Lulu worked out that if the website info says it's a long wait and the book comes quicker, the result is a happy customer. If the website info says it's a short wait and it takes 4 times longer than stated, result is an unhappy customer?

Answer: no idea.

• Well THAT's an improvement. The CS rep has realised that he made a mistake and it should indeed be 14 days (but that doesn't include Sunday or July 4th).

We're now on 12 days. He offered to send a new copy tracked. I've said to wait for the full 14 days and see if the first arrives.