EPUB version For Sale or as Free accompaniment..?

Hi:

Anyone tell me how to go about making the EPUB version of a printed book For Sale in it's own right or Free as an accompaniment to the printed version..?

tia

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

Anyone tell me how to go about making the EPUB version of a printed book For Sale in it's own right

Create it, set it to General with an ISBN.

or Free as an accompaniment to the printed version..?

I am not sure that's possible unless it has no ISBN. But you could create it as Direct access only and have the address to it in your printed book.

Although I am not sure why anyone would need both. You could create two ePub projects though, one Direct and one General.

• Great, thanks for the reply Kevin...

..I think the two ePub projects would be the way to go.

Although I am not sure why anyone would need both

But, surely you have a bit more imagination than that... You can read the printed version at 3am in bed then pack your eReader and continue reading on the 6:30am train into work . . . We wouldn't want the customers falling asleep, now would we..?   Smiley Wink

• wildwindwildwind Publisher

Have a look at the Lulu guide on creating epubs

http://connect.lulu.com/t5/eBook-Formatting-Publishing/eBook-Creator-Guide/ta-p/109443

I would suggest that you sell the ebook rather than give it away for free.

Chances are you will have more sales of epubs than print books.

• Thanks for the reply, Brambles... but, did you actually read the Title and first post of this thread..?

EPUB version For Sale    or   as Free accompaniment..?

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

But, surely you have a bit more imagination than that...

Oh, mine is vast, but what has imagination got to do with it? It can be seen from observation and also knowing people who read books.   Smiley Very Happy

You can read the printed version at 3am in bed then pack your eReader and continue reading on the 6:30am train into work . . .

But it's possible to do both with both.

We wouldn't want the customers falling asleep, now would we..?   :smileywink:

But there's nothing wrong with offering people the choice to buy one or the other.

• wildwindwildwind Publisher

Sorry about that.

If you know how to create an epub all you have to do during the epub publishing process is set a price for your epub if you want to charge for it, or set the price to zero if you want to give it away for free.

If you're asking 'how do I start the epub publishing process?' the answer is click Create on the main menu and then Ebook.

If you are asking how to make both of those options available at the same time the answer is to choose 'Sell this Book' at the start of the epub publishing process for the version you wish to sell. This book can then be distributed to Kindle, Nook, etc.

Then start the epub publishing process again and choose 'Make Available Only To Me' for the free version which will only be available through Lulu.

You can then give the link to the free version to the people you wish to have the free version.