Adapting custom Marketing Image

The forums have been a great help so far!  

I contracted with an illustrator to provide a cover, spine, and back cover for my book.  He provided all of these and we collaborated to produce a great design.  

As a result I have the front cover in 415 x 642 (96dpi) in jpg file.  This is for ebook cover and I know I only need the front cover..

But I do need the image to be 612 x 792 (72dpi).   I have little experience with AdobePS but tried to contort image to desired size.  I couldn't manipulate the image without distorting it drastically.  

I also know that that for the print book (which i will do later) you need a much larger pixel size.   What should i do about adapting the image for my ebook.   Should i be contacting the artist---who is incredibly difficult to deal with???   Or is there an easy way to change image without distortion (notice hopeful toneSmiley Happy

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius Lulu Genius

I contracted with an illustrator to provide a cover, spine, and back cover for my book.  He provided all of these and we collaborated to produce a great design.

It is an attractive cover, but I would have moved the text at the top down a bit.

As a result I have the front cover in 415 x 642 (96dpi) in jpg file.

The DPI is too low. I needs to be 300. 56 to 156 DPI is recomended for images within epubs. For the Marketing Image (Cover) I always use 300 DPI and it works in the Wizard with no problems.

This is for ebook cover and I know I only need the front cover..

Indeed. Do not add it to the page file also though.

But I do need the image to be 612 x 792 (72dpi).   I have little experience with AdobePS but tried to contort image to desired size.  I couldn't manipulate the image without distorting it drastically.

That can always be a problem. Thankfully I store my cover art as components so that when reshaping anything that would get distorted if the whole is reshaped can be pasted to the background as is, backgrounds rarely look distorted, unlike faces etc.

I also know that that for the print book (which i will do later) you need a much larger pixel size.

Indeed. To fit the shape/size of book which is normally the same shape/size as the pages, plus around 0.25 of an inch in some cases, and best at 300 DPI, which you  will have great bother converting 72 DPI to. I use inches anyway, not dimensions in pixels or points.

What should i do about adapting the image for my ebook.   Should i be contacting the artist---who is incredibly difficult to deal with???   Or is there an easy way to change image without distortion

The simplest way is to create a New blank image (a black one or dark grey in this instance) to the Marketing image shape and size,  at a greater DPI, 156 perhaps if not 300.  Copy your cover and paste it in to the new image keeping its ratio but filling as much space as you can. Centralise it. Merge Layers. Save as Jpg. See what it looks like.

• Glenn_LuluGlenn_Lulu Author Author

When I looked at you image, it was in 300 dpi.

I was feeling generous this morning, so I resized the image and attached it.

Give it a try.

• Thanks!!!!    I spent SOME time researching and was able to resize it prior to your contribution.  Nevertheless, thanks a bunch!!! My major problem was trying to resize it EXACTLY to Lulu's pixel specifications so was trying to constrain everything to that.   Lulu approved everything after i resized it with Microsoft Paint (Smiley Happy]   BTW, your adapted image looks WAY better than what I did with Paint (Thanks AGAIN!).   Can I change it out now that it's already been approved and submitted to retailers?

My print book will require a much higher resolution that can't help but to distort some....

Should I ask my illustrator for a higher res than the 442 x 614 i have?

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius Lulu Genius

Should I ask my illustrator for a higher res than the 442 x 614 i have?

That's not really a res but a size, but indeed, for a printed book the images need to be the same shape and size as the pages. Two images, on for front and one for back.

• MCWritingMCWriting Creator Creator

Definitely ask your illustrator for a high-resolution image for print. He's the only one who can provide a quality image. Tell him your expected print cover size, and he should know what to do.

You can then shrink that high-quality image for a zillion other uses. You can always make a big image smaller, but you can't make a small one bigger.

Sorry your illustrator is hard to deal with. I think that's a job qualification.    Smiley Very Happy