Negative Sale?

I just noticed a negative sale (-1) in my revenue report.  Does this mean the purchaser returned the book for a refund?  If so, is there any way to find out the reason for the return, e.g., didn't like the book, poor print quality, was never received, etc?

Comments

• I have never seen that before.  Sorry

• Em_PressEm_Press Professor

Yes, either the buyer did not like the book, it was not compatible with their device or it was other than what they expected.

Leaving a reason for a requested refund is optional. As the author I don't believe there is a way to find out.

A citizen of the world.

• Thank you Maggie. 

By the way, this print book sale was in Germany, where the varying exchange rate makes the revenue different on each sale, so I was able to trace it back to a specific sale on May 3.  It's interesting that the book was purchased on May 3 and returned on July 22, over 2 1/2 months later.  I suppose Lulu must have a 90-day return policy for print books.

Wait... I just searched on the Lulu site and found this describing Lulu's return policy for print books: 

"If you received damaged, defective, or incorrectly packaged items, we are happy to provide a replacement copy. Please notify us within 30 days of purchase through our online order help form. Lulu accepts no responsibility for the quality of the content (including misspelled words, grammatical errors, etc.), formatting, design or overall appearance and will not provide refunds for those reasons."

So the mystery deepens.  It mentions 30 days (not 90 days), and only talks about damaged, defective, or incorrectly packed items, and even then it only says they will provide a replacement copy, not a refund.  In fact, it says specifically they will not provide refunds for the quality of the content, etc.  So I'm still in the dark about how/why a sale is negated 2 1/2 months after the sale.

• I responded to you by private message earlier today.

We attempted to replace the book due to a binding issue. Apparently the repacement books also had some damage when it arrived. We accomodated the buyer by refunding his purchase amount. Hence the delay between the purchase date and the refund date.

• Thank you very much for that explanation.  Mystery solved.  Also, thanks for accommodating the customer with a refund after the second attempt.

It's too bad that both the original copy and the replacement copy had problems. Hopefully that's uncommon!  Whenever I've ordered proof copies they have come through in good shape, so I'm surprised that a customer got two bad copies in a row.

• One had binding issues. The second was damaged in transit.

The universe conspired against him.

• I just noticed this for the first time (since 2009!) on my report for February 2015. I understand about returns for damaged print copies (kudos to Lulu for having a policy for rectifying these), but this was $1.12 -- do buyers receive refunds for e-books? Or was it because this person paid for a copy then realized they didn't have to repay to load it onto another device? The negative amount shows Amazon as the channel for the negative amount. Thanks for any help!