Editor But No Author

I'll be the editor of my next book, but the book actually has no author since it's essentially

a compiled book of knowledge from a learning institution.  How do I convey that on the cover

and meta-data and still comply with the:

"Mandatory Requirements for Print Books with Distribution"

I also want the book to have the spiral binding, so no spine.

J

Comments

• See http://connect.lulu.com/t5/ISBN-Distribution/What-Products-are-Eligible-for-Retail-Distribution/ta-p/33150

You can't use spiral binding.

On the Author/Title dialog use the author drop down.

• In priciple, you 'wrote' the book even if the contents are sourced from many places. If you had not then the book would not exist.

I do hope that you give credit to those sources though, and ask if you can use the words.

• Does "retail distribution" mean only brick & mortar storefronts?  It doesn't include online sales at Amazon.com, Barnes&Nobles, and Powells, right?

J

• Just the opposite, it only really means B&N and Apple (for ePubs) and Amazon (for printed books).

The ISBNs for printed books are also listed in some trade lists, but that does not mean that 'real' shops will buy them.

• So, none of those vendors will distribute spiral-bound books?  

J

• Why would an ebook-only distributor like Apple care about the binding? (or, for that matter, any

ebook distributor?).  

J

• But you were not only asking about e-books.

•  

slimandslam wrote:

I'll be the editor of my next book, but the book actually has no author since it's essentially

a compiled book of knowledge from a learning institution.  How do I convey that on the cover

and meta-data and still comply with the:

"Mandatory Requirements for Print Books with Distribution"

I also want the book to have the spiral binding, so no spine.

J

Following up on this thread, since most of the responses focused on the binding issue and not the editor issue.

The cover of my upcoming book will list me as editor--it's a source book whose excerpts have been compiled, edited and sometimes translated by me. I've been working with a lawyer who has cleared the work for permissions and fair use.

Is there anything I need to know about compliance with the following when I list myself as editor?

• The title and author name must be present on the front cover of your book and must match the metadata you provided for your book.  What is metadata?

Thanks in advance!

• Following up on this thread, since most of the responses focused on the binding issue and not the editor issue.

Perhaps you are in the wrong thread then? And this one is four years old ...

The cover of my upcoming book will list me as editor--it's a source book whose excerpts have been compiled, edited and sometimes translated by me. I've been working with a lawyer who has cleared the work for permissions and fair use.

Is there anything I need to know about compliance with the following when I list myself as editor?

I am not sure what you are asking. Regardless of the contents of a book it will normally have a copyright, and assuming it is you creating/publishing the book then your name will be on the copyright. Normally that is what you fill in. The book is still by you, even if you have not writen the main contents. You can add any further details on the Copyright page, and usually or on a Preface.

• The title and author name
    • And that is you as the creator of the book. Author in this instance just means who created the book.
    • must be present on the front cover of your book and must match the metadata you provided for your book. What is metadata?

Indeed, but as I say, further details can be explained in a Preface. Contents are not part of the metadata.