Before completing your order, please take a moment to review information about potential delivery delays.

Due to closures, travel restrictions, and prioritization of vital services, some parcel deliveries may experience delays. Please check with your carrier of choice to verify your location can receive deliveries. In some instances, some deliveries may no longer be possible.
Read More.

Farewell to the Lulu Forums

2»

Comments

• Since introducing chat and phone support,
    • Lulu users are worldwide. Are phone and chat 24/7? Do Lulu have local rate phone numbers in all the countries us publishers live? or does everyone have to call the USA?

•  there is a lack of engagement from a larger audience.

• In the forums do you mean? Well it cannot help when they cannot log in. But there has been a drop of in use of it over the years. I once asked Lulu if there's also been a drop off in people using Lulu in general. I don't recall being told.

•  We routinely see dwindling numbers of new posts and overall views.
    • See above. But only Lulu have the hit numbers to every page. Are people using the Knowledge base more? Or are people now using Amazon, with its revamp and improved tools, plus 24/7 very rapid Support replies?
    • The new platform launch will results in most solutions becoming obsolete, with many hurdles programmed out of existence based on the feedback of 10+ years of self-publishing.
    • No offence, but we have heard this before, the reply is always "next year" and nothing happens.

If you haven't checked out https://www.reddit.com/r/selfpublish/, this is a good alternative to continue dialog with not only Lulu, but a 37.2M audience of self-published interested parties.

But we publish on Lulu and those who come here, or did come here, wanted to know how to publish on Lulu, not in general.

• LarikaLarika Bibliophile
    Yes Kevin, it was you who persuaded me to stick with writing, thank you, and do you all remember Ken Anderson? Wow Ken!, but he too was very helpful to me as have been other members of the forums. Now,  I am aware that my poetry is very simple and almost child-like, but Maggie actually  complimented me on a poem I once posted here. Thanks Maggie. Ron you too have been so helpful and especially about covers. Apart from forum members Paul has helped me a great deal . THANK YOU all so much. 
  • MaggieMaggie Publisher
    The bottom line is a kind or encouraging word, one word of personalized guidance is worth a hundred help articles. Who remembers the perfect, touching, life affecting help article or help from Live Chat, in any platform?
    Not me. I made friends here, I wrote novels, children's books, made book videos, gave users advice, received free illustrations from Ron Miller (thank you)  and others, endless humour and memories. I use other publishing sites as well. KDP has one and I am registered, but here I am, daily coming here to look at read. And learn. I learned Photoshop here, and formatting, and cover design. And I believe I have passed on bits and pieces of that over the years. I have collaborated with other creators, thus encouraging the publication of more books, which is ultimately good for Lulu. 

And, I have referred dozens of publishers to Lulu in the last 16 years. For all this, the software is a small price to pay.

I say go with a bang. How about a posting storm, everyone? Like DT's tweetstorms.------------DT is Donald Trump. I too wondered what DT meant Maggie, so I looked it up. Thanks for clearing that up. I get now what you mean by his "tweetstorms". This is what I found for DT on google. "The abbreviation DT can variously stand for delirium tremens, a symptom of withdrawal; double tap, a reference to liking someone's post on Instagram; detective; defensive tackle in football; or school detention." Who is DT? But is that not a bit like a DoS attack? I also had to look up DoS Kevin. This is what I found. "In computing, a denial-of-service attack (DoS attack) is a cyber-attack in which the perpetrator seeks to make a machine or network resource unavailable to its intended users by temporarily or indefinitely disrupting services of a host connected to the Internet." Certainly Donald Trump's tweete are like cyber attacks.
  • MaggieMaggie Publisher
    It's more like a jump start than a cyber attack. Nothing harmful here.

• MaggieMaggie Publisher
    Yes, DT, major spam.

• I agree Larika. My books too are far from perfect. But with the help of Maggie I learned about formatting the interiors. Later Maggie gave me advice on how to use Photoshop and my covers have improved. Not professional by no means but much better than the generic covers I used from the Cover Wizard in the beginning. And Ron gave me more advice and critique than I can remember on titles and cover art. And I wouldn't have met Skoob and co-written a Christian book with him. As I said before we publish here, sometimes buy here, our forum should be here. Not some other site that is for generic writes who can't give us advice on publishing here. 
    edited December 2019
    Maggie gave me adviceMaggie, even at this late stage, is still giving excellent advice TheJesusNinja. She advised me to turn my poem into a childrens' book. Ron too encouraged me. I've just had an operation and am house-bound, so it's a project that is really helping me. Such a shame that the forums are closing.
  • And as I mentioned above since most haven't been able to log in,
    With the help of Lulu's Support (waiting for days) and about two hours of try and error: How to connect to Lulu'S Forum (until the end of year):
    Chrome/Chromium: on the right of the address bar, click on the shield and by enabling the unsafe scripts in the top right of the browser bar. Click on this, run scrips, and try going back to the forums. Then you should be able to login/authenticate. Mabe you have to reload one or twice the page until above the Lulu-Login the Lulu-Forum-Login appears.
    Firefox: Click on the padlock on the left of the address bar and allow unsafe scripts. rest as described with chrome.
  • Why have the forums been shut down? Because almost nobody writes and discusses anymore.

Why does almost nobody write and discuss anymore? Because almost nobody can log in anymore.

This is a vicious circle!
  • I agree with Lulu. General questions do not need to be discussed to the same extent today and certainly not necessarily discussed here. First of all, there are many more sources of information about self publishing today. Second, there are many more people with experience. But: where do they share this experience with newcomers? And last but not least: Where do we discuss explicit Lulu questions?
  • Previous way: Someone has an idea, many discuss it. Lulu follows the idea and the discussion. This leads to good new features.

New way: Someone has an idea, sends it to support. Nobody knows about it. Nobody supports it. Lulu doesn't even know if the idea is a flash in the pan or a great need.
  • I received a strange email from Lulu. Not word for word, but > we see you have an interest in publishing via Lulu, please reply to this email to set up a phone call with one of our experts. Ermmm.
  • I received a strange email from Lulu. Not word for word, but > we see you have an interest in publishing via Lulu, please reply to this email to set up a phone call with one of our experts. Ermmm.
    You dropped your email into one of our service team forms and they're reaching out. Those emails only come from very specific forms that require an opt-in. 
  • Hello Paul. No I did not, why would I?
  • benziger said:
    Why have the forums been shut down? Because almost nobody writes and discusses anymore.

Why does almost nobody write and discuss anymore? Because almost nobody can log in anymore.

This is a vicious circle!
    As I noted in the original post on this thread, the decrease in users/postings started long before the current issue with signing in. We don't make decisions lightly and we certainly looked at more data than a few months worth of user activity.

benziger said:
    Previous way: Someone has an idea, many discuss it. Lulu follows the idea and the discussion. This leads to good new features.

New way: Someone has an idea, sends it to support. Nobody knows about it. Nobody supports it. Lulu doesn't even know if the idea is a flash in the pan or a great need.
    As Rachel mentioned in her post on page 1, we host a page specifically for receiving ideas. Please use this; despite a negative perception about Lulu being receptive to user input, we do pay close attention to the needs and desires of our users. That doesn't mean we can act on every idea, but we still welcome input.
  • As I noted in the original post on this thread, the decrease in users/postings started long before the current issue with signing in. We don't make decisions lightly and we certainly looked at more data than a few months worth of user activity.

That is true and I have often commented on it, wondering why, and really only Lulu have the answer. When people are visiting Lulu for the first time to publish nowadays, just where are they hitting instead of the forum?
  • As Rachel mentioned in her post on page 1, we host a page specifically for receiving ideas. Please use this; despite a negative perception about Lulu being receptive to user input, we do pay close attention to the needs and desires of our users. That doesn't mean we can act on every idea, but we still welcome input.

But when people do it via here, it's a totally different page to the one at that link. We see this >>   https://connect.lulu.com/en/categories/suggestion    Does it seem there are 'secret' new areas existing that us forum users know nothing about and have not been told about at their inception? No wonder use of here has dropped off. How many more new sections are there we know nothing about?  This for example >>  http://lulu.boards.net/   sort of proving that Lulu does see a need for a forum.
  • Paul_Lulu said:
    As I noted in the original post on this thread, the decrease in users/postings started long before the current issue with signing in. We don't make decisions lightly and we certainly looked at more data than a few months worth of user activity.
    I have indeed exaggerated it a bit. 20 years ago, there was nothing like it except forums and maybe mailing lists. And today a forum has to exist next to Facebook, WhatsApp, wikis and much more. Not to mention that in the meantime there are x good pages on the net for every topic. In the past years I have experienced both: forums that simply fell asleep and others that have remained active on a small scale - some of them still exist today, some of them have been shut down.
  • Just FYI, gang: I've pretty much moved entirely over to Benziger's new Lulu forum http://lulu.boards.net/

Kevin – lulu.boards.net has nothing to do with Lulu; it was set up independently.