I hope ...

that the reason why the forum is so quiet is because everyone who now uses Lulu are expert self-publishers.

Comments

• Or we might all be busily writing and/or promoting...

• SeamusSeamus Creator
    I've branched off into writing blog posts for a bike shop's website. 2-3 page stories are fun!
    Tim Reinholt Author of Pow, a ski bum heist adventure
  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius
    Or we might all be busily writing and/or promoting...

Would that not include publishing something?
  • I've been away for some months. Upon my return it was rather shocking to see how the traffic and participation here has slowed.
  • potetjppotetjp Professor
    It think it is partly due to the current design of the forum that is neither as attractive nor as practical as the previous version.
    And possibly not as easy to find as it once was.  This is most peoples' landing page  >>    http://www.lulu.com/home  Or even this >>   http://www.lulu.com/create/books
  • oncewasoncewas Librarian
    Dead horses don't like to be flogged.
    I can only now assume the forum is broken.

Hello, Kevin. You might remember me from Lulu. I presently have thirty-one books published with them. used to post quite regular on the forums and that is the reason for my query. I contacted you because I saw your post about lack of inactivity on the forums. Around three months ago, I was unable to post on the forums, although I can still read the posts and use other facilities. I got onto admins several times and they were unable to remedy the problem, thus giving up. I wonder if others have been affected. I log onto forums and are taken back to home page. I've tried several browsers. Anyway, I was wondering if you could post my problem in the forums and maybe one of the admins might take me seriously. I hope you don't mind me contacting you. Thanks.
    Anthony Hulse.

• potetjppotetjp Professor
    I had the same problem several months ago. The Lulu staff couldn't help me, until I discovered it worked without explanation. 
    Anyway, as I often say, the design of the new forum is neither as pleasant and as efficient as the previous one.
  • I have to agree with Potetjp. The site is not as easily navigated as before. I was told it was designed to help those using phones to browse here. But it's to the expense of people like me that use the pc for such things. Also finding the forum at the beginning was terrible and I found it by accident. As I told support there should be a link not a drop down box leading to the forum. Most new people might be able to find it especially if they are not computer or internet literate. It's possible there are not as many coming here to publish and rather using KDP instead. So all that's left is the veterans here that don't need as much help. 
    Indeed, but I am puzzled about the comments about the 'new' forum. This incarnation is a few years old.
  • HULSEYHULSEY UK Publisher
    edited October 28
    Hallelujah! I tried using browser Microsoft Edge, adjusted security settings, and at last am able to post on the forums. It's taken about three months but I'm back. Thanks, Kevin, who I contacted on Goodreads to highlight my problem. The problem started since I ditched BT and went with Sky broadband. Not sure if that was why.  
    Hulsey, how are your sales doing? Have you been hit by the slowdown which seems to be affecting so many people? I'm beginning to dread December sales; last year I had plenty of reason to smile but this year is not looking good.
    Yes, my sales have dropped drastically in the last few months. I suspect it's something to do with Amazon and their Kindle Unlimited feature. Also with their ban of Novelrank, we are unable to accurately track our sales. I do check them on Amazon Central but this is unreliable. Thankfully, I'm not relying on my income from sales and write mainly for the pleasure.     
  • HULSEY I"m having trouble logging into the forum also. I had stop using using Firefox which is much more private and use Chrome which I hate to log on. After a few months even Chrome stopped working. I can log in but not get to the forums to comment. Support said it was better to use Chrome. No Chrome uses a lot of privacy settings that allow way too much info out. But I had to change firewalls and reinstall Chrome to get back into the forum last week. So you are not the only one having this problem. 

Also my sales have dropped dramatically the last few months. I make about half of what I used to even though I have more books out. Amazon tracking is unreliable unless you're using KDP to publish. But at least then you can add key words to your books when the current ones stop working. That used to help me a lot. Now KDP won't accept any of my requests to change the phrases. 

Yes I miss Novelrank. Huge mistake on Amazon's part. It was fairly accurate and at least gave us some sense of what our sales were. 
    No, Chrome wouldn't allow me to respond on forums either. I tried Microsoft Edge and it did the trick, although I revert back to Firefox when leaving the Lulu forum. Funny how all our sales are dwindling. Would any admin care to offer a reason, other than our books might be crap?

Perhaps people are glued to their TV screens. Real life has become way weirder than fiction.

On a side topic, who would have guessed that a plain white background with a few words on it would be the cover of a best-selling book. Could it be that substance really does triumph over style?

If a book gets enough publicity before people even see it, the cover can become irrelevant. 
  • A_A_CainA_A_Cain Oz Creator
    edited October 31
    oncewas said:

On a side topic, who would have guessed that a plain white background with a few words on it would be the cover of a best-selling book. Could it be that substance really does triumph over style?

Led Zeppelin and The Who each sold one of their albums in a plain brown paper cover. Velvet Underground sold an album with an Andy Warhol banana on the front, and of course The Rolling Stones sold Sticky Fingers with a close-up of Mick Jagger's jeans covered crotch. Mind you, all were just a little bit famous at the time.
    EDIT: because I can't count...
  • oncewas said:

Perhaps people are glued to their TV screens. Real life has become way weirder than fiction.

And what book might that be?

Led Zeppelin and The Who each sold one of their albums in a plain brown paper cover. Velvet Underground sold an album with an Andy Warhol banana on the front, and of course The Rolling Stones sold Sticky Fingers with a close-up of Mick Jagger's jeans covered crotch. Mind you, all three were just a little bit famous at the time.

The Beatles also had their White Album, but as you say, they were already famous.
  • Hey everyone, 
    Let me take a moment to try to respond to some of the comments here. 
    I can only now assume the forum is broken.
    The forum is not the issue here, it is our Single Sign On service. The Lulu website (as many of you know) is ancient by Internet standards. Many of the services we use are equally as old (the cover step and preview use Flash...) or are custom built to suit the Lulu website. 
    The forums and knowledge base are run by a third party service. The previous forum service was likewise run by a third party. The sign on issue would be present regardless of the service, as the updates we had to make for Lulu sign on would have resulted in these same problems. 
    Compounding this issue are browser updates and security improvements, both of which strain our older services and create numerous problems. Many of these are based on browser settings and versions, which is why some users get in here without issue, while others are left bouncing from browser to browser.
    The problem existed from before we implemented our current service and has been a constant frustration for me since then. It's not a lack of desire to make the experience seamless, it's an issue of prioritization. 
    potetjp said:
    It think it is partly due to the current design of the forum that is neither as attractive nor as practical as the previous version.
    This is one that hits personally for me, as I spent countless hours, many of them my own time, researching and studying forum structures across the web. Whether this incarnation is attractive or not is of course subjective, but from a practical and functional standpoint (the previous sign on issue not withstanding) this forum functionality mirrors our previous service and improves on it. For example, from home page to a single thread in the previous forum required a minimum 5 clicks, but with our current Recent Discussions thread, it takes 3. 
    I hear you that this forum isn't what you hoped it would be, and I'm saddened that my efforts and the efforts of others here at Lulu couldn't meet those expectations. But to point to practicality as the reason for a drop off doesn't ring true to me. Maybe that's just me and my sense from where I stand. 
    that the reason why the forum is so quiet is because everyone who now uses Lulu are expert self-publishers.
    To an extent, you're right. When Lulu introduced these forums well over a decade ago, information about how to publish was not as readily accessible as it is today. Nor was Google as major a factor in our day to day experience of the web. Authors came to a site to look for information and in that world forums were excellent sources of information.
    But today we rush to search engines for information and guidance, taking the top returned results and never looking back. The chances of a forum post populating the top 1-5 results on Google are slim to none. 
    We see more new users signing up for Lulu and more people successfully starting and finishing the process than ever before. Nothing about how you prepare a file and upload it has changed, but the availability of accurate How-To's has. More and more, creators are finding what they need to create their book before they even get to lulu.com, reducing the necessity of a support forum. And with that, the traffic here is likewise reduced.
  • I'll rise to Pau's defense and cast my vote with a thumbs-up for the current forum functionality. True, it is different than what we were used to but once familiarized it has served well.

Now, connection issues have certainly compounded. In the recent past I have had no problems using Firefox on Win7 or IE 10 or with Firefox on Android. But now I only get SSO timeouts with either browser on the Win7 PC, and Firefox on Android. The only way I can log on the forums now is with this old Andoid tablet's native browser which I believe is a stripped down Chrome. It is painstaking to peck out this message.

It is sad to have been shut out via desktop but at least I can read.  :)
    Seems very quiet again. Seems nobody has posted for a few days. Spooky...
  • I've been having issues logging into the forums.  Kept saying jsconnect error and locked me out.  This is one of the first times I have been able to sign in.   No matter what platform browser I used, it was a no go.  I am surprised that I have connection now, hence me writing here.  I'll have to leave this tab open for I know not how long it will last.