excerpts from Spiffies and Loonies

potetjppotetjp Professor
edited September 19 in Print Books
As you know, I have created booklets, each devoted to a single character of my sitcom Spiffies and Loonies. For instance all the episodes in which Mrs. Hazel Twittle performs have been collected under a single cover titled Mrs. Hazel Twittle. I deposited all the booklets to the Bibliothèque Nationale de France (BNF). The rule for all my books is a single copy because 1) the original batch declared is below 300 copies [I declare 10.], 2) the printer / publisher [Lulu] is a foreign company with its headquarters abroad.
Now, the good news, the BNF has recently informed me these booklets fall in the category of "off-prints" therefore needn't be legally deposited in so far as the texts are already copyrighted and deposited in the original sitcom.They offered to send me back these booklets at their own expense. I accepted.

Tagged:

Comments

• potetjppotetjp Professor
    2019-10-26 Over a month has passed and I am still waiting for the BNF (Bibliothèque Nationale de France) to return my booklets. I suspect there are conflicting views about them - some librarians may want the BNF to keep them all the same - unless it is simply a legal matter - each has its own ISBN, and the duty of the BNF is to store at least one copy of each printed item with an ISBN.
  • A_A_CainA_A_Cain Oz Creator
    The same legal obligation exists in my state (in Australia). Looking at what is actually deposited though (from the State Library's published lists), I can't see much self-published content being lodged, and I doubt anyone cares.

It's a case where the applicable laws have become archaic, and simply haven't caught up with real world publishing technology.

I'd flatter myself if I really thought my scribblings need to be kept for posterity, in a library. Besides, far more people have read my words on the internet than in any book. I wouldn't pay a cent (or a centime) to "legally comply" and I don't think libraries are resourced to police this at all.
    Well, A_A Cain, the legal deposit has been compulsory since King François I (1494-[1515-1547]), and we are very proud of it because thus the BNF has lots of documents that otherwise would be lost forever. I am modestly (naively ?) flattered that my books are stored at the BNF - vainglory is hard to escape. :) As for your own writings, you just don't know what data from them could be useful in the future. For instance, it is a good thing Mrs. Eliza Fay's letters (18th century) were collected and published because they contain many things that tally with other reports. 
  • A_A_CainA_A_Cain Oz Creator
    I hear you, but when the libraries don't seem to care about valid cultural artefacts, I'm not paying a cent to lodge my erotica.

Besides, it's all in the public domain elsewhere on the internet - just without pretty covers :).
    edited October 28
    In France, erotica used to belong to l'enfer (hell) of the BNF. Now, its seems this category has been phased out except for precious classics. My Genitality in Tagalog is entered in the catalog without any special mention. 
  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius
    "Genitality in Tagalog"

I had to read that twice. At first glance I thought it said genitalia.