Making a collector's edition paperback from eBooks

I'm working on doing a series of martial arts books. Short reads around 30 or so pages each. When I'm done I'd like to put all of it in a paperback edition. How would I go about this and make it look good inside. Separating each edition inside? It's been done with two martial arts books that I know of. So I know it's possible. 

Comments

• Ron MillerRon Miller Professor

First, I would come up with a title for the composite book. A subtitle can make it clear that the book is a collection of shorter volumes.

The contents page would list, instead of chapters, the titles of the individual books collected. You might want to lead off with a brief introduction explaining the genesis for the anthology.

The copyright page for the compilation can list the titles, dates and copyright information for each of the books that are included in the collection.

I would eliminate all of the front matter in each book, leaving just the text itself. What would look nicest would be for the title of each book to be on a right-hand page with the text beginning on the following right-hand page.

• Thanks Ron great idea!  By front matter you mean like the copyright page etc? Since all of those would be on one page correct? What do you think adding a cover photo at teach section or just leave the titles and text?
  • Ron MillerRon Miller Professor
    Thanks Ron great idea!  By front matter you mean like the copyright page etc? Since all of those would be on one page correct? What do you think adding a cover photo at teach section or just leave the titles and text?

Yes. The front matter is everything up to the first page of the book proper: i.e., the title page, frontispiece, copyright page, etc.

You main book--that is, the compilation itself--can have all of these things. But the individual sections shouldn't. For instance, all of their copyright notices can be combined into one and placed among the front matter of the book. But each individual section, even though they were originally free-standing books in their own right, should be treated now more like chapters within a larger book...or perhaps more like individual stories in an anthology. All they need is their titles.

Preceding each section with a photo would be an attractive way to separate the different parts of the book.

It's quite common to see collections of short stories, I assume it's the same for factual books, not that I own a factual book that's a compilation of previous publications.

First, I would come up with a title for the composite book. A subtitle can make it clear that the book is a collection of shorter volumes.

One example of a book of fiction I have just got off a shelf is titled Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, originally four books of course. Famous ones, so the front cover does not mention the title of each book in the series, it simply says A Trilogy in Four Parts, because I assume it does not need to! Each title is on the spine though, and on the back cover with a description of each.

The contents page would list, instead of chapters, the titles of the individual books collected. You might want to lead off with a brief introduction explaining the genesis for the anthology.

Using the same example, the title page has the same title and sub-title, then the names of each original book, sans the descriptions.

The copyright page for the compilation can list the titles, dates and copyright information for each of the books that are included in the collection.

Then as Ron says, the Copyright Page lists each title, when published, and by whom. Then under that is the actual Copyright (C) name, and the original copyright dates, but not again mentioning each title.

I would eliminate all of the front matter in each book, leaving just the text itself. What would look nicest would be for the title of each book to be on a right-hand page with the text beginning on the following right-hand page.

Next is Contents, only listing each title and what page they start at.

Next is a very long Preface. Basically a history of the series, as the Front Matter of this compilation.

Each section mainly just has a title page, as Ron says, on the right, no additional Prefaces, etc.