How long.

2»

Comments

• potetjppotetjp Professor
    I suppose all Lulu authors are devoted readers.
  • potetjppotetjp Professor
    I may have already said this, but as I am nearing 80, I don't remember when and where.
    I read a lot, but I am surrounded by people who don't read novels. They only read serious books, how-to books, cooking books, gardening books, do's-and-dont's books - you name them. My sitcom, whether its original version in English or its adaptation in French, hardly sells while my didactic books on Tagalog (Philippines) and related subjects, written in English, sell regularly, in small quantities, but they do sell. According to a couple of studies on readerships in the world, the British, the Germans, the Russians and the Japanese read a lot more than the French. I live in a small town at one of the gates of Paris, France. The last stationary that also sold the press and books closed down before Easter this year (2019) because the diminishing number of old customers was not followed by new generations. On the other hand, if you go to any of the big FNAC stores in the center of Paris, that sell books, DVDs, TV sets, computers, etc., you'll be amazed at the number of book buyers, including teenagers. Unfortunately, the FNAC does not carry my books, although it has been informed of their existence by Lulu through Hachette Distribution for over a year. 
  • oncewasoncewas Librarian

I guess one thing we need to ask ourselves as writers is what motivates people to buy a book? A reader has really got to want to buy a book before they part with their cash. It won’t matter how wonderful the cover, or blurb, or writing; if they are not in the mood to buy, they simply won’t. I have been into bookstores with the thought of buying a book and come out without one because I was not motivated enough.

I used to read a lot of fiction but hardly ever read fiction anymore. I do still buy a lot of books, mostly biographies, autobiographies and other non-fiction. I don’t usually buy print books; though I prefer to sell print books over ebooks, I prefer to buy ebooks. I like the fact that you can usually get ebooks very cheap when there is a promotion on, and you can increase the size of the text.

I still have loads of print books because they are pleasing to look at and I don’t want to part with them. I have to admit that reading a print book is more satisfying than reading an ebook but ebooks are more practical for me. However, I have noticed my ebook sales declining over the years, so maybe most people don’t feel the way I do about ebooks.