Writers Block

Going through this. Its like all my inspiration has deserted me. No ideas coming especially for my fiction books. I used write three pages a day. Now i cannot write a paragraph.

Anyone else experience writers block?

Comments

• oncewasoncewas Librarian
    Absolutely. You need to kill it now, before it takes hold. I have had it last for years. Force yourself to write, anything. Try a different genre.
  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius
    What I suffer from is writer's fatigue. At times I cannot be bothered for months.
  • MaggieMaggie Creator
    The consolation is you never lose the ability once you have it. I thought I had lost it, but I just remembered I wrote two children's books last summer and a poem for my father's book a month ago.

As oncewas says, sit and write. Pick any topic, any genre. Fill one page. The rest will flow. Write nonsense if you have to.

• Skoob_ymSkoob_ym Teacher
    edited July 21
    I find that it helps to back up and get a running start. Go two or three chapters back from your last line, and read what you've written, thinking about how well it expresses the idea that you started with. As you see the need, make small changes here or there. If you see the need, insert a line or even a paragraph to clarify what's going on. Often, by the time I hit the last line, I have the next two or three pages in mind.

Be careful not to write yourself into a corner. If you think you've written into a spot where you can't go back, delete the last three pages and try again from that point.

Insert a new element into the story. This can be a new subplot, a new character, or a new event. The couple is getting along well, and resolved all their mutual issues... but grandma's coming to visit. The spy has escaped and is about to cross the border to safety, when he sees that he is surrendered by Second Direktorate agents. The murder is about to be solved, but there's a new body to account for. The rescue ship is almost to the swimmers when they see dorsal fins in the water.

Or, as Maggie said, write something unrelated. I sometimes keep two or more projects in progress at the same time, and work on whichever one feels right at that moment.

Go see a movie. Go read a book by your favorite author -- preferably in the genre you're writing. Think of what you were doing when you had this book idea, and go do that thing again -- see if the activity speaks to you like it did the first time.

Hope those are helpful. Best of luck getting back into the saddle.
  • LarikaLarika Bibliophile
    I had writer's block prior to my operation but have just got out of hospital and suddenly am inspired to write again. I have written poems, letters. stories and accounts---- so wonderful was my treatment by the surgeons and staff at Lincoln Hospital. (And so many put down our wonderful National Health Service)I hope you too will start writing again. Good Luck.
  • Here is my writer’s block story. Sorry if it’s too long.

I begin writing seriously in the 90’s. I began a number of novels, completed four, with one being published.

Sometime after that I stopped writing for a number of years. I began again after discovering Lulu, deciding to put my old books into print whether they sold or not. I just thought it would be neat to have actual books rather than .doc files on my computer. I reworked two books and had them printed, giving many away to friends, then I stopped writing again, as I couldn’t come up with anything new. 

A few months later I brought out a novel I had earlier completed, and abandoned. I think it is a good story, but the ending sucks, so I decided to change the ending altogether, and I got back to writing. My changes turned out worse than the original. I couldn’t come up with new ideas, even if I did, I couldn’t put them down in a comprehensive way. I wrote a lot, but it just wasn’t the way I was used to writing. It was forced, and boring. It was like trying the same thing over and over with the same results.

I set that project aside for a few months, then decided to try it again, because I really liked the book. This time, I looked over the book and could still not get in the mood to finish. I decided to put another hold on it. Still wanting to write I broke out an incomplete novel and decided to work on that. It was one of those that I started, and really didn’t get into. I had put it aside for a number of years also, and was on the verge of scrapping it altogether. 

However, after returning to it, and getting the feel of the characters again, I found myself inspired. As I wrote, the old feelings came back. The characters took on new life. 

The thoughts I previously had about the plot just were not working, but as I wrote I found I could come up with fresh new ideas which did work. The ideas just came, without me having to worry about it. 

I know this is cliché, but I can think of no other way to describe it. I had a complete idea for how the book was to develop and end, but as I wrote it was like the characters were telling me, ‘No, it’s going to go this way.”  So, I followed their advice, and it worked.

I’m sure many of you have been writing with a particular idea in mind as to where it was going, only to find an alternate and better route just popping in your head out of the blue. That had happened often when I wrote years ago, before I took my break.

It was very refreshing to get it back. 

I finished the book, and in my opinion, it turned out much better than I expected.  In fact I think it is my best yet, even better than the one that was published. (yeah, we all say that)

I’m awaiting my second proof then I will be putting it on the market. 

So, after all that, my point is: If you are stuck, just try something new. Get out of the old rut and relax and let the story come. And Enjoy. 

• potetjppotetjp Professor
    edited September 10
    It's rather the contrary with me at the moment. I wanted to write another sitcom, but the characters are so naughty that I only end up with obscene situations and dialogues. As I write for a family audience, not for the happy few, I have given up and aborted the project. 
  • Perhaps they need a dash of hamartis and a spoonful of misfortune. It usually gives characters what they need to be intriguing.
  • The Writer's Block might be the south side of East 35th St. Between 8th and 9th Avenues.
  • DysonLogosDysonLogos Bibliophile
    I take on writer's block by playing games. I've found nothing that invigorates me more than sitting down with 2-6 friends and playing a few good roleplaying games around the table - exploring strange places, solving puzzles, and just interacting in character.