Anyone use Canva?

13»

Comments

• LarikaLarika Bibliophile
    Her pig father was pink and reared on a free range farm. (We have some here in Lincolnshire) and her mother was a light pink colour, (I don't like the politically correct terms "white" and "black.") so the chances are she would be pinkish. Of course she could be a throwback!!!! I really like that baby pig.
  • I have seldom seen a discussion get quite so far off topic so quickly as this one has done! 

It doesn't really matter in the slightest what color pigs "really" are. What matters is communicating an idea to the potential reader as succinctly as possible. If a curly tail and pinkish skin reads more immediately as being pig-like than anything else might, then so be it. That's the most important thing. This isn't a non-fiction book about porcine anatomy.

Indeed, but don't ignore the fact that they are often right. But, then again, having a pink pigchild is stereotyping pigs.

I have been trying to think of a stereotype that is "often" right. The point of a stereotype is to label an entire class of people (or anything else, for that matter) as sharing some common characteristic, that something is true for every individual person in the category. So a stereotype by definition either applies to everyone in that class without exception or it is not a stereotype. It's a stereotype that all Scots are stingy. The fact that some few may in fact pinch a penny does not mean that the stereotype is "sometimes right."

Goats don't eat tins. That idea came from seeing goats eating the labels from tins. They liked the paper and glue.

It depends on how much is human and how much is pig. Baby pigs look  a bit like human babies. I would have been tempted to start with a baby pig and make that semi-human for the cover. Perhaps even give her patterned skin or even fur.

See the source image

This might be a pretty good idea. It might help get the idea of a human-animal hybrid across more quickly since it is always possible that a casual browser might overlook more subtle details, such as a piggy nose or curly tail.

My sister had two goats. She got rid of them after they ate their shed.
  • This might be a pretty good idea. It might help get the idea of a human-animal hybrid across more quickly since it is always possible that a casual browser might overlook more subtle details, such as a piggy nose or curly tail.

Simple random mixing of genes in a human egg could create anything. "Oh you have your mother's eyes!" It can depend on which genes are dominant. One could end up with a fully human baby that just grunts, or a fully pig baby that has hands.

Gene editing would make  better story methinks, but one has to wonder why anyone would want to mix pig genes with human's. To make them taste more salty?

edited November 2018
    Maybe to get the message across  Kevin, that,

"Pigs and humans share more genetic similarities than previously believed.

Our relationships to our animal brethren are often closer than first appearances may suggest. Despite the great diversity of life, there is a string connecting us all together — a string that geneticists are beginning to unravel." Mother Nature Network. 
    PS. To bring the conversation back to Canva, Ron. I was thinking I might use it to make the new cover for "The Pig Child." I found some interesting backgrounds but nothing to help me with what I was trying to do. I'll continue to experiment with the programme. However their sales people keep trying to sell me add-ons!
  • Larika said:
    Maybe to get the message across  Kevin, that,

Our relationships to our animal brethren are often closer than first appearances may suggest. Despite the great diversity of life, there is a string connecting us all together — a string that geneticists are beginning to unravel." Mother Nature Network. 
    PS. To bring the conversation back to Canva, Ron. I was thinking I might use it to make the new cover for "The Pig Child." I found some interesting backgrounds but nothing to help me with what I was trying to do. I'll continue to experiment with the programme. However their sales people keep trying to sell me add-ons!
    "Pigs and humans share more genetic similarities than previously believed."
    That's true, of course, but that doesn't mean that interbreeding is possible. We share 60% of our DNA with bananas, but I don't expect to see human/banana hybrids, as much as I might love to. 

As for Canva, I am sure they are trying to sell you whatever they can! That's why they offer so many free items...to lure people in! What sort of background are you looking for? Maybe I could help you out.

Oh you must have done!

• I have been trying to think of a stereotype that is "often" right.

It doesn't take much thinking about.

The point of a stereotype is to label an entire class of people (or anything else, for that matter) as sharing some common characteristic, that something is true for every individual person in the category.

They usually do, in simplistic terms.

So a stereotype by definition either applies to everyone in that class without exception or it is not a stereotype.

It is, if you look up its meaning to do with social psychology. "A stereotype is an over-generalized belief about a particular category of people."  Or as you say, things, too.

It's a stereotype that all Scots are stingy. The fact that some few may in fact pinch a penny does not mean that the stereotype is "sometimes right."

A stereotype evolves when it's found that characteristics are a common trait, even if not common to all, and they usually evolve from something. But often they are very old stereotypes that may no longer be valid. There's also many words fallen in to common use due to stereotypes. Hooligan, for example.

• Maybe to get the message across  Kevin, that,

We also share many genes with flies. All creatures come from a common ancestor, and genes become dormant as species split off. The older a species is, the more dormant genes it will have.

The statement I have bolded there, applies to everything, not just pigs and humans.

Perhaps what we could do with, is a full description of what you want this pigchild to look like. You will not find it anywhere else. 

• One reason that inter-species breeding is difficult is that the egg seems to recognise the wrong sperm, and will not allow it to penetrate the membrane, but scientists have discovered that if a tiny electric shock is applied to the membrane, it will allow any sperm in, then it's a genes free for all. Worryingly, they have also created artificial sperm with any set of genes in it that they desire.

Right now there are human-created species that are patented and copyrighted.

http://listverse.com/2013/03/08/10-insane-cases-of-genetic-engineering/

Ron, I'm working on the third in my series of life in Saudi Arabia. This time the protagonist, Basira, is a Saudi citizen who is a Moslem. Her half sister Joy is a Westerner. Basira has been fighting for the rights of women. She becomes a Christian. In Saudi if a Muslim converts to another religion, it is considered apostasy, a crime that is punishable by death if the accused does not recant. At the moment I'm just playing with different ideas for the cover.
  • A stereotype evolves when it's found that characteristics are a common trait, even if not common to all, and they usually evolve from something.

Hmmm. I am not so sure about that. I think that the history of stereotypes, especially racial and national stereotypes, shows that they evolved from a need to denigrate and demean those who do not share your race or nationality. I have here an entire book, “Apes and Angels”, devoted to the subject of how the Irish were depicted in caricature  as brutish subhuman anthropoids during much of the 19th and early 20th centuries. I might suggest that few if any stereotypes of any kind are positive in nature...and those that might be are condescending. I certainly hope that when you say that stereotypes evolve from observing that some characteristics are “a common trait” you are not suggesting that the stereotypes that all blacks are shiftless, all Poles are stupid, all blondes are dumb, all Irish are alcoholics, all Chinese are wily, all Jews are money-hungry or all Mexicans are lazy are based on “common traits”? The only possible answers are either “no” or “there must be something to it.”

Hmmm. I am not so sure about that.

I am glad you used "not sure"  :)

I think that the history of stereotypes, especially racial and national stereotypes, shows that they evolved from a need to denigrate and demean those who do not share your race or nationality.

That is often true, and goes right back to demeaning the family who lives in the next cave. Tribalism was protectionism.

I have here an entire book, “Apes and Angels”,

That cannot be the Ben Bova one surely?

devoted to the subject of how the Irish were depicted in caricature  as brutish subhuman anthropoids during much of the 19th and early 20th centuries.

Who by? As a statement that's pure BS. It's no doubt true of  how Africans were depicted, but earlier. But if it is the book by Ben Bova then  reviews say it's full of stereotypes born from total ignorance, that if written today it would be shameful.

I might suggest that few if any stereotypes of any kind are positive in nature...and those that might be are condescending.

Some are positive because some are very true, even if they are stereotyping :)

I certainly hope that when you say that stereotypes evolve from observing that some characteristics are “a common trait” you are not suggesting that the stereotypes that all blacks are shiftless, all Poles are stupid,

Ones I have never heard said, and I don't see how it can be because even in general terms it is not true, just the opposite. The black one could have been a slave owner's excuse to whip them, I have no idea how the Pole one derived.

all blondes are dumb,

The problem with that one is that most blonds are bottle-blondes, so that would mean all women are dumb, when in reality some have discovered it to be an advantage to only act dumb.

all Irish are alcoholics,

Most do tend to like a drink. Actual well-know fact. Although it could have derived from all the Irish enticed to come to the UK to dig canals who were given 8 pints of beer a day to help fight muscle pain, who, at night, often had mass fights with each other, and local villagers.

all Chinese are wily,

Perhaps wily is the wrong word? Not that I have ever heard it. But current commercial developments prove that they are?  :)

all Jews are money-hungry

Who owns most banks?

or all Mexicans are lazy are based on “common traits”?

I have no idea about that one, but if like the Spanish they shut up shop for most of the afternoon to have a nap, because it's too hot to work, then they could be seen like that.

The only possible answers are either “no” or “there must be something to it.”

It certainly must come from people's observations when dealing with other peoples. But some observations are very old and no longer true. People are becoming far more homogenized.

• Ron MillerRon Miller Professor
    edited November 2018
    It is not the Ben Bova book. It is a scholarly study published in the 1970s. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2285969.Apes_and_Angels

So “most” blondes are bottle blondes, eh? Should be a surprise to Scandinavians.

Anyway, it’s hard to believe that I just read an apologia for stereotyping races and cultures.

I think I should not discuss this any further.

Hrmm. Possibly an American view of the Irish? Because it's not been the English view of them. My Granddad was in fact Irish. One interesting point is, I am sure you are aware of the jokes about how stupid the Irish are? If you visit Ireland they tell the same jokes there, but aimed at the people from other Irish counties or even the next village!

So “most” blondes are bottle blondes, eh? Should be a surprise to Scandinavians.

Indeed they are, considering that most of the world are not Scandinavians. Surely you have heard of the saying? the collars and cuffs don't match.

Anyway, it’s hard to believe that I just read an apologia for stereotyping races and cultures.

You did? where?

I think I should not discuss this any further.

Go on, you know you want to.

edited November 2018
    Ron said,  "I think I should not discuss this any further."
    Perhaps not Ron,  but I must say I saw "Jews are money-hungry"  which you were quoting as an example of a stereotype  and Kevin responded "Who owns most banks?"  I was surprised by your remark Kevin. After my visit to Auschwitz, I did a lot of research on Hitler and he made those kinds of statements to rouse the people. Many anti-semites, like Hitler, often promulgated myths related to money, such as the canard that Jews control the world finances, first promoted in the Protocols of the Elders of Zion.The Protocols was a total fabrication.

I did some research and Jews don't own most banks 
  • Perhaps not all Ron but I must say I saw  "Jews are money-hungry" was a stereotype and Kevin responded "Who owns most banks?"     After my visit to Auschwitz I did a lot of research on Hitler and he made those kinds of statements to rouse the people.

I don't see why it should bother people that Jews have always been linked to the lending of money, for example, but there was far more to Hitler's strange beliefs than that (his dad was a racist maniac also!) he was trying to 'purify' the German race for start (in to a blond super-race. Germans have always been known for being blond ...) Jews were not the only race he persecuted, he had a downer on Gypsies for example. He also had the backing of German aristocrats (what happened to the likes of those?!) miffed about losing out via WW1.  in fact Jews have been persecuted throughout history for one reason or another, Hitler just used WW2 as an excuse to take it to extremes, and to help finance his efforts. It astonishes me that an entire country can be brainwashed in to such atrocities, and to even attempt to take over a continent! One has to hope it is not possible nowadays, but False News attempts to.

many antisemites like Hitler often promulgated myths related to money, such as the canard that Jews control the world finances, first promoted in the Protocols of the Elders of Z 

False News is not as new as people assume.

I don't know about them having the monopoly,  but they certainly do own and control a remarkable number of businesses, and why not? They did it via hard work.