Approving for distribution

So I submitted my book and after a few weeks I got an "Approval" Button. I guess I was thinking that "they" were checking the book out to see if it met requirements. But I noticed this line:
"By approving this book, you certify that you have received and approved a copy. Each additional modification to your work after approval could incur a printer/distribution fee.  View the document online that was used to generate your book."

I just followed the template, and made sure ISBN is on the cover and the copyright page. I know that one of my images runs to the edge of the page, if I don't fix it will I actually be charged by Amazon to make the change?  

Tim Reinholt Author of Pow, a ski bum heist adventure

Comments

• Did you order a proof copy of the book? That is why the approve button shows up. Only click that if the proof copy you bought looks exactly the way you want it and no mistakes that might need corrected. As in the image you mentioned. I don't think Lulu or Amazon will accept it with the image like that. But since you clicked approve it might get sent out like that. You can always correct the image in your document, upload and order another proof and approve that one. It will replace the old one sent earlier if that makes sense. But no Amazon won't charge you or fix the image. You have to do that yourself.
  • HULSEYHULSEY UK Publisher
    The approve button usually shows just as soon as you complete the process of publishing your print book. You must purchase a proof copy to check over and then if satisfied, use the approve button. I admit to being confident with the finished product and utilise the approve button before receiving a draft copy. Of course, if the book was not satisfactory, I would have to purchase a revised copy and resubmit the approve button. Lulu will only charge you if you make further changes and order another proof copy.
  • SeamusSeamus Creator
    OK, it sounds like my timeline was a little different from yours. For about a month I sold just on Lulu, then I clicked the Distribution button and ordered a proof that would be for the other outlets. The proof arrived, then there was about a week lag time, and just yesterday the Approve button appeared.

But none of that really matters, I was just concerned by that line regarding fees if there are any mistakes. I guess I was also expecting something like I got with my ebook, where I submitted it and it kicked back three reasons why it was rejected.
    So far I haven't seen that with my print book, so it might be ok, I'll double check those guidelines. 
    Thanks, Tim
  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

"By approving this book, you certify that you have received and approved a copy. Each additional modification to your work after approval could incur a printer/distribution fee.

I don't recall seeing that. But it should say that Each additional modification to your work after Approval will require the purchase and Approval of another Proof. Although it should only say that if an ISBN has been used.

• SeamusSeamus Creator
    Yeah that makes more sense, 
  • SeamusSeamus Creator
    And that was a direct cut/paste from my notice, not me paraphrasing 
  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius
    Some of the content in Lulu's Help, rules, etc., are from when Lulu first set up, and have not been adjusted to how it is now.
  • SeamusSeamus Creator
    ahh, ok