Creative Commons License

Hi,

I am looking to use a CC licensed book for a college course that I teach. I would like to use Lulu to print on demand for my student who prefer a physical book to a PDF. 

I am fuzzy on the Non-Commercial part of a CC license. I am setting the book so that I make no profit off of the book, but I am concerned about Lulu. Is the profit they make on the print violating the Non-Commercial part? I saw that FedEx won a court case similar to this, but was wondering if anyone had any further info.

Thanks - 

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius
    Lulu, or you, are not making money from the content. Lulu are making a profit from the physical aspect of having the book printed, and you are giving the book away. The printer will also make a profit from manufacturing the item, because Lulu do not make the book. I suppose it's a fine line, but all the same, no money is being made from the actual content. If it still worries you, then why not just print out the PDF  on your college machines for those who like it as a physical book?
  • Printing costs, imho, would fall within the allowable expense of reproduction. Thus the Lulu cut is no violation.

I am not a lawyer, and this is not advice.
  • Echoing Skoob's comment, I believe commercial uses are tied to a creator earning from the use of the CC protected work. The best idea would probably be to contact Creative Commons directly and double check with them - https://creativecommons.org/about/contact/

• Ron MillerRon Miller Professor
    I agree. It would be no different than if you were to go to a traditional printer and order 100 copies of your book. You could then give them away for free if you like, but you still owe the printer for the cost of producing the books.

Creative Commons, as I understand it, applies only to content, not the physical manifestation of it.