Is there a way to get customer contact details?

Currently, I can take customers directly to the Lulu cart page, preloaded with my book so they can check out. (FAQ here)

Is there a way for me to get the customers' contact details?

Thanks in advance...

Robin

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius
    Indeed. Almost all sites do so. Or are supposed to. And the Data Protection Act has just been tightened up (at least in the UK) for obvious reasons.
  • wildwindwildwind Publisher

Think about it this way: if you made baked beans you would never have the end purchaser's details. Why should you have them for a book buyer? You don't have a right to see them and you won't.

You can ask your readers to sign up to a mailing list, if they so wish.

• RobinRobin Reader
    Thanks for the replies folk. OK, I get the whole GDPR reasoning.

I am a creator and marketer, so having the customers details is pretty essential for selling my other creations to them down the line.

So with that in mind. Is there a way that I can take the order via my own shopping cart, and then place the order manually for Lulu to print and ship to the customer.

I'm currently looking at the Lulu API integration with my own cart, but I'm not techie, so might take awhile. And am thinking of a workaround.

What I don't want is for the delivery slip to be included with the book order being sent to the customer.

Anyone know if this is possible?

TIA

• The API or using our Shopify App are the best ways to cut us out of the selling piece of the puzzle and enable the information capture you're looking for. Using the API definitely requires a little more technical knowledge, but is the most efficient method in the long run. Using Shopify is much easier, but requires using their shopping cart on your site and they are a monthly subscription service.

Beyond those options, as others have pointed out, we can't provide the customer details for sales through our Lulu Bookstore for all the normal privacy reasons.
  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius
    That is quiet true Paul. If a person is the direct seller of something then they will know exactly who is buying the items and it is highly useful information that can result in future sales. A mate of mine used to run an advert with a 'Loss-leader'. In other-words he at least broke even on the cost. But when fulfilling the order his package included his catalogue of his other items. Also, he would use the collected mailing list to mail previous buyers another catalogue, perhaps twice year. When they stopped buying further products he would sell the lists to other people who sold similar but non-competing items. Each genuine 'Qualified' name could be worth some other seller paying $2 to get it. One could perhaps call it 'The Reader's Digest Method.'