Rights and ownership of book

Hi Guys, Im new to Lulu and wanted to ask, if Lulu provides me an ISBN number, does that mean they own my book? I understand that they would be the publisher but ultimatley do they own my work?

What are the pros and cons of having lulu as my publisher?

Comments

• SBenta wrote:

Hi Guys, Im new to Lulu and wanted to ask, if Lulu provides me an ISBN number, does that mean they own my book? I understand that they would be the publisher but ultimatley do they own my work?

What are the pros and cons of having lulu as my publisher?

The copyright to the book remains with you.

Even in traditional publishing, the author owns their book unless a specific arrangement has been made otherwise, such as in a work for hire contract.

Would it be better to let lulu provide me an ISBN or should I get one elsewhere? What are the pros and cons with this?
  • Go with the free Lulu ISBN. If you have your own ISBN (which you have to pay for)

you can be listed as the publisher. If you use the Lulu ISBN then Lulu will be listed

as the publisher. For the amount of books that self published authors can realistically

hope to sell it is not going to make much difference. If you were planning a huge

publishing empire then I would say get your own ISBN.

• This is from Lulu's Knowledge Base (the underlining I mine).

By assigning your own ISBN to your title you are agreeing to the terms below:

1. By assigning your ISBN, you acknowledge that you have reviewed and agree to the U.S. ISBN Agency terms and conditions listed below
    2. An ISBN will be assigned to this title and the publisher name that you have provided will be listed as the publisher in all bibliographic feeds.
    3. Lulu will function as an agent providing distribution services.
    4. You will be responsible for any orders you place or cause to be placed with retailers for this title.
    5. You may request your book be removed from distribution at any time. After such request, Lulu will start the process of withdrawing your book from availability in retail channels. It may take 6-8 weeks or longer for your listing to be completely removed. In certain channels, removal of your title may not be possible.
    6. Lulu, on behalf of you, the publisher, will be the sole source of bibliographic data on your book. Lulu will feed data to the U.S. ISBN Agency as well as to Bowker's Books In Print ® and other industry databases. The data will identify you as the publisher.
    7. You agree to purchase a copy of your book for review prior to approving the first copy as well as any future revised copies.
    8. You agree to set your Lulu Marketplace price equal to or greater than your Lulu Retail price.
    9. You may not make available to the public a duplicate project with a lower Lulu Marketplace price while the original is active in Distribution.
    10. Your book's initial Retail Royalty will be set at approximately $4.00; you may change this at any time prior to approving the book.
    11. You accept that any changes made to the book or the book data after approving it for global distribution may incur a revision fee. You will not be allowed to make changes before purchasing this revision.

If you use a Lulu ISBN (free) then Lulu will be responible for '4'. But Lulu's Free ISBNs do have other clauses.

By assigning a Lulu ISBN to your title you are agreeing to the terms below:

1. You are granting publishing rights to Lulu to act as a publisher on your behalf to retailers and wholesalers globally.
    2. Purchasing an ISBN through Lulu is non-refundable.
    3. Lulu will assign an ISBN to the title and Lulu.com will be listed as the publisher in all bibliographic feeds.
    4. Lulu will be the sole source of bibliographic data on your book. Lulu will feed data to the U.S. ISBN Agency as well as to Bowker's Books In Print ® and other industry databases. The data will identify Lulu.com as the publisher.
    5. You accept that Lulu.com is the publisher of record and that any creator revenue you earn through this ISBN meets the true & legal definition of the term 'royalty'.
    6. You accept that Lulu.com as the publisher is legally obligated to report any royalties that you earn through this ISBN to the United States IRS under the following conditions: For domestic US individuals or business entities, ALL royalties that you earn through this ISBN regardless of their ship-to address or final destination must be reported. For Non-Resident Alien individuals or business entities any royalties that you earn through this ISBN which are shipped to a US address will be considered US Sourced Income and must be reported.
    7. You agree to provide Lulu.com with your complete tax information to facilitate the tax reporting mentioned in point 5 of this agreement. You also agree that if you do not provide this completed tax documentation, the royalties that you earn through this ISBN will be subject to backup withholding.

Specifically:
      Domestic US individuals or entities must provide a completed, signed W-9 form with a valid Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) or Employer Identification Number (EIN for businesses). If a domestic US individual or entity has a valid W-9 form on file with Lulu then there will be no withholding tax deducted from the royalties that you earn through this ISBN. If a domestic US individual or entity does NOT have a valid W-9 form on file with Lulu then the royalties that you earn through this ISBN will be subject to the default backup withholding rate for domestic entities (currently 28%).

Non-Resident Alien individuals or entities must provide a completed, signed W-8BEN form with a valid Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) or Employer Identification Number (EIN for businesses). If a Non-Resident Alien individual or entity has a valid W-8BEN form on file with Lulu then US Sourced royalties that you earn through this ISBN will be subject to the withholding tax rate specified in the taxation treaty between the US and the country you specify on line 9A of your W-8BEN form, if such a treaty exists. If a Non-Resident Alien individual or entity does NOT have a valid W-8BEN form on file with Lulu then the US Sourced royalties that you earn through this ISBN will be subject to the default backup withholding rate for Non-Resident Alien entities (currently 30%). Any US taxation treaty that specifically addresses, is documented, and directly conflicts with this structure will supersede these general rules.