Printing on the inside of the cover?

Hi,

I am self-publishing for the first time, I am not doing anything big just a book of my art for my college graduation. I was wondering because I am printing on a saddle stichted paper back if they counted the inside of the cover as the first page. I just want to make sure the order of the pages of my art alines properly with each othe, I have art that is two pages wide and there is no preview that shows if they do or not. Please help.

Thank you for your time.

-S.B

Comments

• The inside of the cover is not the first page; that will be the one

opposite the inside of the cover which has the name of the book

on it. Page 2 has the copyright notice. So, if you have art stretching

over two pages the earliest that you could place it would be on

pages 4 and 5. Even numbers will always be on the left and odd

numbers on the right.

• Following on from Dan
    sbrant wrote:

Hi,

I am self-publishing for the first time, I am not doing anything big just a book of my art for my college graduation. I was wondering because I am printing on a saddle stichted paper back if they counted the inside of the cover as the first page. I just want to make sure the order of the pages of my art alines properly with each othe, I have art that is two pages wide and there is no preview that shows if they do or not. Please help.

Thank you for your time.

-S.B

Covers are almost always created on separate printing machines, and it is the same with Print On Demand created books, and this will be very noticeable in Lulu's Project Wizards.

The uploading of the file of pages happens, and then a little later on you will come to the Cover Wizard.

The Project Wizard actually creates two Print Ready PDFs. One for the pages and one for the cover. One machine prints the pages and one prints the covers. They are linked for printing (what file belongs to which) and specifically for binding together only by the use of a code number.

So basically the two objects are totally separate files until the book is bound.

POD does not allow for printing on the inside of the covers, so like almost most books the outer and the inner covers are not counted in the actual page count.

The page count of the pages you see in your Word Possessor is the only literal page count to consider, and page numbering can start from there (but not actually on the pages until you get to the actual main content). Often the page numbering starts at 1 from the main content, but not always.

Usually it's also asked of you to have two blank pages at the start of your file of pages. (And at the end). Especially for hardbacks because the first and last pages are used to help hold the cover on! (and one of the reasons they like those pages blank!) In that case four blank pages at each end are often allowed in your file of pages.

Page count for all options also has to be divisible by four.

To be honest, if you just want the one book. To save you worrying about full-page spreads falling correctly, create it with A3 pages as a PDF and take it to your local printshop.