PUBLISH A MAGAZINE ON LULU

Can someone help me?  I'm used to Publishing 6x9 books on Lulu for eight years.  That means my covers are 6.125x9.25 and the interior margins, top, bottom, left and right are 0.5.

My question is now to expand in what I publish with Lulu.

I want to do a Magazine.  I took a magazine I have and measured ... measurements are 7.75x10.50.  So how do I know how to figure what size the magazine will be (for instance, like the 6x9) how do I figure what size book it will be with those dimensions and then how do I set the margins?  I've never played with another format before so is there a rule of thumb that margins stay the same for an interior or change with the book size?  i'm confused and not good in math lol.

Also, was wondering if we could do bookmarkers with the smaller dimensions ... again how do I figure out size and margin areas?  That is what I don't understand.

I'd like to do Posters too, for I saw on the Dimension chart that there is a template for 30. + and that's a poster size.  I would like to do labels. Has anyone done anything OTHER THAN just books?

I'd really like to do a magazine but I don't know how to figure out the all-around dimensions I need like I know for a  book 6/9, covers must be 6.125 x 9.25 and the interior margins all must be 0.5.

I appreciate any help I can get.

Susan Joyner-Stumpf

Comments

• Lulu only publish books and calendars. Do you have any idea how expensive a print

on demand magazine will be? Magazines typically have a very short shelf life; published

today and forgotten next week. They therefore need to be supported by advertising

and needs print runs in the tens of thousands, if not the hundreds of thousands.

If you want to publish content in a large format book you could use the 8.5 x 11

inch option and set margins to a quarter of an inch all round, which is the minimum.

• Ditto on Daniel's comments.

I suppose that it would be possible, but the per-unit cost would be high, especially if (like most modern magazines) you were including a lot of full-color high-definition photographs. It would essentially be a full-color 8.5 x 11 perfectbound or saddle-stitch soft-cover book with magazine-format content.

Now, if you are taking the quarterly proceedings of the Bavarian Beekeeping Bellydancers (or some such group) and wish to have them in a more tangible form, I suppose that members and highly interested parties might be willing to pay the high per unit to see their article ("How to gold plate coins made of beeswax for your outfit!") in print as part of an official record.

But it would be a pour way to start a For-Profit full-featured magazine per se, imho.

• Can someone help me?  I'm used to Publishing 6x9 books on Lulu for eight years.  That means my covers are 6.125x9.25

My covers, for which I use two images, one for the front and one for the back, are the same size as my pages. My books are paperbacks and I will assume your books are. I use the basic Cover Wizard, which are you using? I am just wondering why your create you covers larger.

and the interior margins, top, bottom, left and right are 0.5.

Do you also add a Gutter for the bound edges?

My question is now to expand in what I publish with Lulu.

I want to do a Magazine.

Lulu once had many many other Project types, and one was Magazine. I don't know why they dropped that option or how it was different from other options, perhaps it was stapled.

I took a magazine I have and measured ... measurements are 7.75x10.50.

What type of magazine? I am not sure there is a standard magazine size. I have just measured four and they are all different and none are of that size.

So how do I know how to figure what size the magazine will be (for instance, like the 6x9)

Whatever size you create it at. For a magazine I would suggest Premium 8.5" x 11", which you can also have an ISBN for, but it has a min of 32 pages.

how do I figure what size book it will be with those dimensions

It will be whatever size it says in Create.   http://www.lulu.com/create/books

and then how do I set the margins?

The same as you normally do, plus a Gutter.

I've never played with another format before so is there a rule of thumb that margins stay the same for an interior or change with the book size?  i'm confused and not good in math lol.

They are all books ...   Smiley Happy

Also, was wondering if we could do bookmarkers with the smaller dimensions

Book markers?

... again how do I figure out size and margin areas?  That is what I don't understand.

You have lost me.

I'd like to do Posters too, for I saw on the Dimension chart that there is a template for 30. + and that's a poster size.

Are you on the right site? Poster is often a specific size and it's usually 24" x 36". Lulu do nothing like that.  Here does >>  https://www.zazzle.co.uk/s/large+posters

I would like to do labels. Has anyone done anything OTHER THAN just books?

Click the above link.

I'd really like to do a magazine but I don't know how to figure out the all-around dimensions I need like I know for a  book 6/9, covers must be 6.125 x 9.25

I don't know where you get that extra from, unless you mean for Bleed or perhaps using the Advanced Cover Wizard for a hardback.

and the interior margins all must be 0.5.

That is just he recommended minimum, some do them larger.

• Magazines are not cheap, but they are cheaper than it would cost to print them via POD. They also make most of their money from adverts placed in them, usually charged by circulation figures (a lot cannot be charged for page space if it only has a print run of a 1000, but a lot can if it has a print run of 300,000). Many have moved on to or started up on line nowadays, anyway. No printing or shipping costs.