Huge minimum margins

Hello!

I'm looking to publish a manga on Lulu but it seems I'm going to have issues with such wide margins.
The size would be pocketbook (4.25"x6.88", eligible for retail when browsing the site in french - I don't get that by the way), full bleed, but .5" margins make a really narrow live area (that's 1.27cmx2 of side margins for a 10.79cm wide book, and I'd rather not add the gutter).
Here industry printers usually require .5cm bleed, and .3cm margins, so even if I know POD is different, I just have trouble admitting that such margins are required.
I can't go over .7cm margins (that's around .27"), and I have read lots of messages saying that .5" is the rule, but did someone already got stuff cut off with .4" or even .3" margins? Is there a realistic/average/noted length, as opposed to a really safe .5" margin?

Sorry for my english, and thanks!

Comments

• Make it full bleed. No margins.

Look up full bleed in Knowlegdebase. Basically, add. 25 to pics and doc and PDF.

Use Us store for inches.

A citizen of the world.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

Is Pocket Book not a bit small for a Manga? All the ones I have seen are around 10" x 7".

Oh, and with a free Lulu ISBN it will get a lot further than France!

• Thanks for the ansmwers!

I'm planning to make it full bleed, and if I understand the knowledge base, .5" margins still apply :
    "When creating a document with bleed, keep in mind that important art and text should be 0.5 inch (1.27 cm) from the edge of the finished page size. This allows for page trim variance as well as bleed. The variance is shown below from the blue dotted line to the orange dotted line."
    As for the inches, I'm fine with cm, and US store doesn't allow fo pocketbook retail distribution.

• Manga print size is huge in the US, in Japan and France it's between 4.5"x6.8" and 4.7"x7", so even if pocketbook is a little shorter thant actual size, it's the closer size to what I do (and make a cheaper book, which lmanga should be).
    And the manga will be published in french and english, so I've planned to use the ISBN of course.

• No margins for full bleed.

A citizen of the world.

• Then maybe "margin" is not the right word, i'm talking about that :
    "important art and text should be 0.5 inch (1.27 cm) from the edge of the finished page size".

• We do recommend keeping art/text away from the edge a bit. This isn't strictly a margin, but it is a good idea to avoid having material run too close to the edge.

Unless one needs it to be for a double page spread. Granted stay away from the other edges, but if one wants an image over two facing pages then not only does the image need to go to the bound edges the two parts of it also need to allow for the bit that gets lost in the binding. Often trial and error with Proofs is the only way to get it as perfect as possible.

Manga print size is huge in the US,

I own a lot of Marvel 'comics', I would hardly call them huge. It seems to be a standard size because independent publishers also use the almost A4 size. A lot of Manga is often republished in the West (often by Marvel) in non-Japanese (often in English) and they also use the almost A4 sizes.

in Japan and France it's between 4.5"x6.8" and 4.7"x7",

To be honest I would still create it as A4, it makes for a better read and also more room on the pages to have larger art. Often the art is better than the stories! Then again, A4 paperback cannot have an ISBN here, so I would compromise with A5.

so even if pocketbook is a little shorter thant actual size, it's the closer size to what I do (and make a cheaper book, which lmanga should be).

Oddly enough, A5 is cheaper than Pocketbook.

And the manga will be published in french and english, so I've planned to use the ISBN of course.

It puzzles me what a Manga now actually is. It is supposed to be this - a style of Japanese comic books and graphic novels in Japanese published in Japan, typically aimed at adults as well as children. But if you look on Amazon you will find such things like Pride & Prejudice 'Manga'.

• @Paul_Lulu thanks, I understand it may not be possible to have a more precise value on this recommendation (or maybe .5"), I guess I'll try with my .7mm "margins" and hope it's ok.

@kevinlomas I meant "huge" in comparison with the original japanese manga publishing size.
    Printing bigger or not is a matter of choice and taste, my "manga" are made to be read at this (small if you want) size, and I like the fact that it doens't take too much room and doesn't weigh too much, to be able to carry a few on journey.

But I agree that having bigger books is nice when I really love the art (talking about other manga than mine).

And A5 is a bit more expensive than pocketbook, when browsing the site in french.

As for vocabulary, I don't really care how my manga/comics/bande-dessinée are called, I usually use "manga" because in France it more or less means "a 12x18cm black and white, with few panels and long term developping story bande-dessinée (french word for comics, manga, tebeo...)". If I used just "bande-dessinée", it would imply the french-belgian tradition of A4 color books, and "comics" would imply the US one. But I understand that "manga" is differently interpreted depending on culture and tradition.

. But I understand that "manga" is differently interpreted depending on culture and tradition.

No it is not. It is definitely Japanese and even Manga not published in Japan looks exactly as if it was! All Manga has the same style in other words because it is Manga culture and tradition. There are even Western guides on how to do Manga art.

Here's just one example book on it >>>   https://www.amazon.com/Master-Guide-Drawing-Anime-Christopher/dp/1936096862/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1485657432&sr=1-4&keywords=manga+artist+workbook

Just one example vid guide on it >>>  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcI-1abQhnE

• 漫画  manga "cartoon picture"

Those two symbols mean 'whimsical or impromptu - pictures' and it was a style invented in 1798 in Japan. Manga as we know it today began around 1948 using Japanese styles of art emulating western publishing styles. It does not just mean comics or cartoon picture or the Beano would be Manga.  Smiley Happy  You see the same style of art in Japanese Anime and console games. 

http://www.animefreak.tv/