Using ISBNs in Standard Paperback

I want to print my books in Standard Paperback because it is cheaper (half the cost for my dimensions). I am fine taking on the headache of distribution, since a Standard Paperback is not eligible for distribution through Lulu. 

I am fine buying my own ISBNs; I do not need the free Lulu ISBN. 

Here is the problem: When I print a Standard Paperback, there is no option to enter a ISBN that gets baked into the barcode. 

My questions are:

- Do I really need a ISBN that is baked into the barcode? Or is it fine if I only type it manually on the copyright page?

Most places I distribute to will have a separate form that requires me to write out the ISBN separately; so do I really need the barcode and the ISBN to be consistent?

- Suppose I need a ISBN barcode. Does the following method work?

Publish a version of the book in Premium Paperback (which I do not intend to use). Download the PDF cover from that book.

Prepare a new project with the book in Standard paperback. Instead of creating the cover for this book using the wizard, upload the book cover that I just downloaded from the premium paperback project. So now I have the body in standard paperback, with the cover design from the premium paperback, which gives me the correct ISBN. This is the version of the book I physically print.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Sid

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

sidd_d wrote:

I want to print my books in Standard Paperback because it is cheaper (half the cost for my dimensions).

It's not always dimensions that matter, so does quality of paper. Standard is cheaper because the paper is not as good as Premium. I also think that Standard is only printed in the USA.

I am fine taking on the headache of distribution, since a Standard Paperback is not eligible for distribution through Lulu. 

That's true. But it is the ISBN that matters I would have thought. If there are no ticks to say it can have Dist, then that means it cannot have an ISBN either, your own or Lulu's. Don't quote me on that, but that is what the lack of a tick means to me.

These are what happen with your own ISBN anyway. http://connect.lulu.com/t5/ISBN-Distribution/Bringing-your-own-ISBN-Agreement/ta-p/31998

I am fine buying my own ISBNs; I do not need the free Lulu ISBN.

Considering what a free Lulu ISBN does they are far better than using your own. 

Here is the problem: When I print a Standard Paperback, there is no option to enter a ISBN that gets baked into the barcode. 

I assume you mean on the back cover? Scroll down this >> http://connect.lulu.com/t5/ISBN-Distribution/Assigning-an-ISBN-to-an-existing-project/ta-p/341683

My questions are:

- Do I really need a ISBN that is baked into the barcode?

It does if you want people to re-order, or, I assume, also if you  want people to find it anywhere it gets listed for sale.

Or is it fine if I only type it manually on the copyright page?

No. People do not open books to scan a barcode.

Most places I distribute to will have a separate form that requires me to write out the ISBN separately; so do I really need the barcode and the ISBN to be consistent?

Err, yes. The barcode is the same as the ISBN, in code form.

- Suppose I need a ISBN barcode. Does the following method work?

Publish a version of the book in Premium Paperback (which I do not intend to use). Download the PDF cover from that book.

Prepare a new project with the book in Standard paperback. Instead of creating the cover for this book using the wizard, upload the book cover that I just downloaded from the premium paperback project. So now I have the body in standard paperback, with the cover design from the premium paperback, which gives me the correct ISBN. This is the version of the book I physically print.

No, books are only created if you go through the a full Project Wizard. You will need to use the Advanced One Piece Cover Wizard because that is the one that does not add a barcode by default. But there does see to be the option to use your own ISBN at the start of a Project Wizard and it should then generate a barcode both to copy and past to your original art and for the Cover Wizard to auto-add the full barcode to the back cover.

Am I missing something?

Yes. If the option to use an ISBN is not there, then it cannot have one. Pick one that can.  Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Sid