Squares printing on page, odd font issues.

I created and uploaded a pdf of the book (not my frst rodeo here).

I downloaded the pdf that I uploaded.  Good.  No issues.

Then Lulu created a "Print-Ready File" and I downloaded that.  Now there are missing letters, odd spacing, and square boxes in the text.  Font was embedded when the file uploaded and I can open and print the file from multiple programs with no issues.

(see attached image)

Help?

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

Often that indicates there are symbols or whatever that it cannot convert to a PR PDF. Have you embedded the font? If not then try that.

• Select all, replace font with Garamond. Show formatting, find the spaces, replace all with space again.  Generate PDF, single out the culprit. replace all again with the desired letter or symbol.

Good luck.

A citizen of the world.

• Font (Georgia) is embedded.

Thank you though for the suggestion!

• Em_Press:

These aren't just symbols it is having problems with: some capital letters, dashes, quotes, numbers etc. 

I can walk this book over to my press and print it right now - there is no issue with the font or the pdf.

Thanks though.

• I saw your support case and forwarded it to the appropriate team to look at. Hopefully they'll be able to provide some guidance on the PDF conversion.

I use Word's Save As (PDF) and it is set to >

Page range - All:

Publish what -  Document:

Include non-printing information - Document structure tags for accessability:

PDF options - ISO 19005-1 compliant (PDF/A):

That works on Lulu and Lulu's Wizards do seem fussy about types of PDF uploaded.

• OK, I think I solved this...

I opened my PDF in Acrobat Professional 10.0

Tools - Print Production - Flattener Preview

In the Flattener Preview dialogue box, all presets were set to high resolution.

* Convert all text to outlines was selected.

* Page range for convert text to outlines was set to entire page range.

Apply. Save file with new name.

I uploaded the new file to Lulu and created one of their Print Ready files.  No issues this time!

I ordered my proof copy. If it has any issues, I will come back here and report.

Gosh! All I do is click Save As  Smiley Happy