author Vs translator

I republished Maître Tace last year. It is my direct French translation of Amá "Father" (1929) by a Tagalog author, Lázaro FRANCISCO, a national artist. 

I naturally entered his name as the author's. I mentioned mine, as the translator's, at the bottom of the front cover.

The problem is that if I ask Amazon's Authors' Central to display the list of my books, Maître Tace is not among them. I wanted to add it, but Amazon refuses because it is not my name.

Apparently, they have never taken into account the translator's status.

Comments

• Regrettable indeed.

What do they do with Elizabeth Browning's Poems From the Portuguese?
  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

I don't  know what to say about that because I publish via Amazon (for Kindle) and via Lulu (ePubs not for Amazon! as well as printed). Using AC I asked Amazon to list my printed books from Lulu with my Kindle books from Amazon and they did so without asking for proof that I was actually the same person or had any right to!

I would keep having a go at them if I was you. It cannot be hard to prove that you are both the translator and the publisher.

• HI. I am new here ...but I am interested in this subject. I want to translate 2 books and publish them as translated. Do I need permision to do that ? ( It will still have the author's name, of course, and mine as the translator)  Maybe you could give me a piece of advice. Thanks.

• potetjppotetjp Bibliophile

SonikaB a écrit :

HI. I am new here ...but I am interested in this subject. I want to translate 2 books and publish them as translated. Do I need permision to do that ? ( It will still have the author's name, of course, and mine as the translator)  Maybe you could give me a piece of advice. Thanks.

It all depends on whether the books you want to translate are in the public domain or not. In the latter case, you'll have to obtain the authors' permissions and/or their publishers'.

• SonikaB wrote:

HI. I am new here ...but I am interested in this subject. I want to translate 2 books and publish them as translated. Do I need permision to do that ? ( It will still have the author's name, of course, and mine as the translator)  Maybe you could give me a piece of advice. Thanks.

Unless the originals are clearly in the public domain, you need to get permission from the author to publish any translation.