Problem creating cover

Hi,

I'm trying to create a cover for my print book. I want to use the image I used for my eBook, along with a back cover i also have. I'm completely stumped as to how to do this during the wizard. I downloaded the template for the size of my book, but can't fit my cover image into it, so I'm guessing it's a sizing issue. How do you create the spine? I'm sure there's a simple answer to this and any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Go to the cover making area of the wizard. Choose one of the templates at the top of the page. Then upload your photos and click and drag them to the template and delete the words there if you've already got them on the photos.

• yeah same with me, i dont know how to change

• oncewasoncewas Librarian

The thing to remember with print books is that images are printed at 300 dpi (dots per inch).

so, for example, if you have an image on your cover which is 3 x 4 inches you need to

make sure that your image is 900 x 1200 pixels large.

If I remember correctly ebook covers are 612 x 792 pixels so that particular image cannot be

used for print. You will need to go back to the original image and resize it for print, presuming

the original image was larger than 612 x 792.

The best thing to do is forget about all the templates - these are print on demand books

and people are only going to see them online; they will not hold them in their hands - so

create a cover which is visually exciting.

Simply take an image and add your title and author name to it. The blurb can do the same

job as the yadada on the back cover used to do.

If your book is 6 x 9 then your image will need to be 1800 x 2700 pixels large.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

For now forget the resizing and take a look at this >>     http://connect.lulu.com/t5/Video-Tutorials/One-Minute-Video-on-How-to-Create-a-Book-Cover/ta-p/31792

danielblue wrote:

The thing to remember with print books is that images are printed at 300 dpi (dots per inch).

so, for example, if you have an image on your cover which is 3 x 4 inches you need to

make sure that your image is 900 x 1200 pixels large.

With the art/photo tool I use to design images for my covers (PaintshopPro) I simply set it to the size I require as inches. I would assume most such software has the same option. I also often create at 600 DPI (and upload them at 600dpi) but as long as it is set to the inch or CM, or whatever, size you want you can ignore the actual pixel count. (and do not be distressed about the size they seem on your screen! (I often do a full image for front and one for back and at 600dpi they seem massive) It does not matter!

If I remember correctly ebook covers are 612 x 792 pixels so that particular image cannot be

used for print.

* The designs I use for my ePubs and Kindles are also at least 600dpi. They will not be that once converted by an e-book wizard though, but it may be possible to use the original for a printed book as long as it is the right size.

You will need to go back to the original image and resize it for print, presuming

the original image was larger than 612 x 792.

Or (carrying on from above*) if the DPI will allow you to up-size it in some software. Within reason it should be possible with 300dpi and even better with 600dpi.

The best thing to do is forget about all the templates - these are print on demand books

and people are only going to see them online;

But all books created here are POD.

they will not hold them in their hands

They will.

- so

create a cover which is visually exciting.

But I agree not to use the default stuff found within the Cover Wizards, and there's no real need to use the downloadable cover templates because the covers are the same size as your pages. Just work from that. For now ignore any atempt at the Advanced Cover Wizards!

Simply take an image and add your title and author name to it. The blurb can do the same

job as the yadada on the back cover used to do.

Yup, people tend to forget that, and the advantage of an online Preview. But a good cover will attract the eye.

• oncewasoncewas Librarian

Kevin

It is precisely because these are print on demand books - and potential buyers will not be able to hold the books in their hands before they make the decision to buy - that I say you should go for maximum visual impact and I don't believe that the template covers achieve this with their little boxes for text and images.

Potential buyers will see a thumbnail of a cover when they browse online; it needs to make an impact as quickly as possible.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

danielblue wrote:

Kevin

It is precisely because these are print on demand books - and potential buyers will not be able to hold the books in their hands before they make the decision to buy - that I say you should go for maximum visual impact and I don't believe that the template covers achieve this with their little boxes for text and images.

Ah, I see what you mean now.

Potential buyers will see a thumbnail of a cover when they browse online; it needs to make an impact as quickly as possible.

Thankfully they are larger than a thumbnail, and with the advantage of a Preview they are almost true-size, on a PC monitor anyway! There's always the disadvantage of people browsing on Smartphones. I do it myself and anything that strikes my interest I later look on my PC's 28" screen or even on my 49" TV which has a built in browser. My eyes are not very good!