Printing with Full Bleed

Our book is made up of hand drawn black and white drawings. Three of every four pages were intended to go all the way to the edge (full bleed)and I wanted to send them as PNGs as your instructions indicated. The book is 288 pages long and the first problem was I could not enter each page individually because it will only take 100 items. So I formatted the pages by story (four page groupings) and saved each as a PDF but when I tried to save it it wouldn't take the full bleed sizing, so I had to change it to 6 x 9 and now there are irregular white borders at the top of most of the pages (which stand out since the borders are black). . How can I use PNGs on the majority of the pages and have them at full bleed (The quality of the picture would be better)? Please tell me if there is another way to insure the image stretches border to border.

Comments

• I am going to answer this in a way that anyone else with a similar problem will understand so forgive me if it seems I am trying to tell you something you already know.

Firstly, it is always advisable to submit a PDF for print books because with PDF what you see is what you get. Insert your images into software, such as Word, and then print to PDF. doPDF is free to download and is easy to use. You will not lose any image quality and it is much easier uploading and working with one file.

When you create your PDF ensure that you set the size to 6.25 x 9.25.

To get bleed you have to create pages which are larger than the final trim. For a 6 x 9 inch book your pages should be set at 6.25 x 9.25 so alter the page size in Word.

Let's say that the margins for your finished book are 0.5 of an inch all around; you would need to make them 0.75 to take bleed into account. The non-bleed images are going to fit into a space which is 5.5 x 8.5 (i.e. the 6.25 x 9.25 printed page trimmed down to 6 x 9 and with a margin of 0.5 all around) As your images need to print at 300 dpi your non-bleed images should be created at 1650 x 2550 pixels.

Insert the image into Word and use the Picture Tools to ensure that it is placed at 1650 x 2550. You might have to untick the Lock Aspect Ratio box to achieve this. Position the picture around centre of page.

Now, with the images you want to bleed, create them at 1875 x 2775 but keep all important aspects of the picture away from the edge of the page because 0.125 of an inch is going to be trimmed from top, bottom, left and right side of page. Insert the image into Word and ensure that it is placed at 1875 x 2775 and centred. You will see that it overrides the margins, which is what you want.

• Thank you for your help.  I have updated my files and submitted them for printing.  My fingers are crossed.