How to edit cover jpg

I have scanned jpg images of my existing front and back covers since we are moving from a physical book to an POD book.  I added the images to the cover deasign screen and dragged them to the front and back cover templates.  I have several questions.

1) The covers are getting clipped.  What are the size requirements for a jpg so that I can drag an image and have it fit exactly in the alloted space?

2) Does LULU let me resize the images?  If so, how?  If not, I can do this outside of LULU.

3) When I open my project, I can't find a way to go directly to editing the cover.  It takes me through all the steps of revising the existing book when I only want to revise the cover for an existing version of the book.

Comments

• oncewasoncewas Librarian

I've just this minute got done producing a print book! I didn't use the Lulu cover templates; I used the option to upload a jpeg as the cover; browse the various options until you find it. Your jpeg needs to be the size which will allow your cover size to print at 300 dpi. For example, if you are producing a 6 x 9 book then your cover jpeg will need to be 1800 x 2700 pixels.

Do the resizing of the image on your computer and keep text away from the very edge of the image as it might get cropped.

If revising, I think you have to just go through and OK all the options until you get to the cover stage.

• Still having problems with adding front and back cover jpg images.  Here's the details:
    1) We have a phisical book in landscape format of 8.5" wide by 5.5" tall.  We scanned both back and front covers at 300 dpi.  This gave us images of 2550 pixels by 1636 pixels.

2) We already had a PDF file of the physical book's text.  Lulu only has a 9x7 inch landsscape format.  When we uploaded the PDF text, Lulu said it automatically adjusted our 8.5x5.5 to fit 9x7.

3) When I try to add the scanned jpg files, which are 0.5" smaller that the width and 1.5" smaller than the height of 9x7, LuLu says the images are too big:
    "Your cover image is not an acceptable size (2550 X 1636 pixels). For optimal printing, your images should be saved at 675 X 900 pixels. (2.25" X 3", 300 DPI). For a product of these dimensions, you must make sure that your cover images are at least 315 X 420 pixels. Cover images should not exceed 1350 X 1800 pixels."

Why is it suggesting such a small image when the jpgs are clearly smaller than the book size?

• Em_PressEm_Press Professor

Ok, make your front and back 8.75 x5.75 each. 300 dpi.

Use Old cover designer (this is what I use for templates. Simple). Upload each separately. You can also upload your own spine or let lulu generate one for you.

Disable title and author text. Proceed to end.

At the end you will be provided the cover PDF (on left before you click on Publish).

A citizen of the world.

PS. As Daniel said, cover images are always cropped. So, keep text and important symbols  one inch away from edges.

A citizen of the world.

• 1. "Old cover designer".  Is this the page labeled "Design your cover" and has front and back retecgular areas for the covers?

2.  Assumin (1) is the correct page, I clicked the "backgrounds and Pictures" menu and then clicked in the "Edit Picture" box for the front cover.  I then browsed where my 8.5.x5.5 300 pixel jpg was and uploaded it.  It bpalced the image in the rectangualr "front cover" space but image extends beyond the border.  Why is that given that the jphg is less that the book size?

3.  If I try to upload the back cover as above, which is also a  8.5.x5.5 300 pixel jpg I get the error message:
    "Your cover image is not an acceptable size (2550 X 1636 pixels). For optimal printing, your images should be saved at 675 X 900 pixels. (2.25" X 3", 300 DPI). For a product of these dimensions, you must make sure that your cover images are at least 315 X 420 pixels. Cover images should not exceed 1350 X 1800 pixels.".

Please explain prcisely what sequence of setps I need to take if the above ius n ot the recommended metjod.

Traveluv,

Please upload your covers here. I will check them and fix them for you and reattach (if they are private you can delete them later).

I think your image size and resolution are wrong. Or, for some reason your computer is compressing them.

The cropping is normal, btw. That is why yoru image has to be bigger.

A citizen of the world.

• Attached are the froin and back cover jpgs (2550x1636 at 300 dpi)

Hi TravelLuv,

Is your book 9x7?

I resized it, given that it seemed like it would fit that size more than any other. It very wide -- but beautiful

The problem is, it's a little bit warped but still cute.

You have the wrong proportions. The only way to have no warping is to resize the actual payers in Photoshop.

But, you are welcome to use the ones attached. I removed the shadow and extra lines around edges.

A citizen of the world.

Hmm.. the front cover is too big to attach here. Could you give me an email to send it to? You can delete it from the post later. I'll try private messaging.

A citizen of the world.

It's 5.12 MB, which is fine, but it won't attach here.

Please confirm your page count and book size.

A citizen of the world.

• you can send to [email protected] 

• The original book is 8.5 x 5.5 inches. LuLu reformatted the text PDF to the 9x7 format.  Questions:

1) Since the jpgs were smaller than then 9x7, why didn't they fit?

2) I assunmed you resized the jpgs to be 9x7 so when you say "warped", I assume you mean the aspect ratio wasn;'t kept the same, correct?

Thanks for you help.

Are you sure lulu has a book 8.5 width by 5.5? Maybe that is why lulu is slectign a 9x7 for you.

Give me a sec.

A citizen of the world.

The only book size you could choose is either 8.5x8.5 or 9x7.

The other book size, 5.5x8.5, is portrait not landscape.

Yes, in order for front not to be warped, you need to reduce background size and adjust text so that it fits on one of the above sizes.

A citizen of the world.

• Hi,

1) I saved the image you arttached.  It's properties say 2775 x 2175 pixesl at 90 dpi.  That seems to be too low resolution per the Lulu specs.  Please explain

2) I'm not sure if I am using the Cover Design page correctly.  When I'm there, I do the following:
    a) I click on the area in the bottom of the screen labeled "Cover Properties/Backgrounds and Pictures"

b) I then click in either the"Front Cover" or Back Cover" rectangle that says "Edit Picture"

c) I click "use a different Picture/Upload File/Browse" and then select a jpg from my disk and click "Open/Upload"

Is that the correct procedure?  Note, when I selected the jpg you created  (1 above) I get the same error message as before:
    "Your cover image is not an acceptable size (2775 X 2175 pixels). For optimal printing, your images should be saved at 675 X 900 pixels. (2.25" X 3", 300 DPI). For a product of these dimensions, you must make sure that your cover images are at least 315 X 420 pixels. Cover images should not exceed 1350 X 1800 pixels."

3) If I resize a jpg outside of Lulu, what dimensions and resolution do I want to fit correctly into the 9x7 Lulu book size?

Sorry for all the detailed questions but I find the Lulu user interface not very intuitive.

• Hi Em_Prress

I posted some follow-up questions (post 16) a few days ago but haven't heard from you.  I'd appreciate an answer since I am anxious to move forward on the book. Also, you had said you created a JPG fro the cover and were planning to email it to me.  My address is [email protected]

Thanks