Bibliograpy

How do you use or write a bibliography.  Is it infringement if I use info from other books but don't quote them for research but give them credit in the back of my book?

Comments

• potetjppotetjp Bibliophile

TheJesusNinja a écrit :

How do you use or write a bibliography.  Is it infringement if I use info from other books but don't quote them for research but give them credit in the back of my book?

Your title has a typo.

Yes, each quotation should have its reference, and the source should be entered in the bibliography at the end of the book.

The template for an entry is:

surname, forename (date of publication). Title. Location of publisher: name of publisher.

Entries should be in the alphabetical order.

If there is an index, it goes after the bibliography.

Here is a sample from a bibliography.

biblio-model.jpg

• oncewasoncewas Librarian

Google the Harvard System of Referencing. It will tell you what information

you need to provide. And yes, it is an infringement.

• TJN:

I have sometimes used a bibliography, indicating sources, and then a "Recommended reading" suggesting other books that I did not use but that may be helpful to the reader.

• I will share with you a secret that saved me headaches in highschool and college when writing bibliographies.

http://www.bibme.org/ is a tool that gives you a form to fill out based on what you want to cite, which will help you figure out what information you need. You put in as many sources you want and then it arranges them in a standardized professional format of your choice and allows you to download the result as a .doc file. They also keep track of things that have been submitted before - so if someone else has already cited it, just putting in the title might get you all of the other information in a click. I haven't used it recently, but I know they also used to let you save the files to an account on the website so you could work on them over time.

• Ron MillerRon Miller Professor

TheJesusNinja wrote:

If you quote even so much as a single word, you should reference that in your bibliography.

You can use all the information you want from other books so long as you don't express the information in the same words. Copyright law protects only the way in which information is expressed...not the information itself. Nevertheless, if what you write is based on information from a specific source you should still cite it.

Jesus Ninja,

You can also mention it on yourcopyright page. Example, All bible verses from King James Version Bible. Cambridge Edition, 1611.

Or, all Tao quotes from ----this version. Used with permission. Their website.

A citizen of the world.

• Ron that is my main question. I was thinking if I read a book for research and then use info from that book in mine but it is not a word for word version but in my own words and not resembling anything in their book do I need to ask permission or can i just list their book in the back as references in a bibliography?  Doen'st seem like copyright as long as I don't quote them or use mass amounts of their info. And yes I did have a typo, it was late lol.

• So I don't have to get permission as long as it's in my own words and put their book in the bibliography? Correct? Just want to make sure I see some books with over 20 books listed and I'm thinking did you actually contact all of those people.
  • Ron MillerRon Miller Professor

TheJesusNinja wrote:

Ron that is my main question. I was thinking if I read a book for research and then use info from that book in mine but it is not a word for word version but in my own words and not resembling anything in their book do I need to ask permission or can i just list their book in the back as references in a bibliography?  Doen'st seem like copyright as long as I don't quote them or use mass amounts of their info. And yes I did have a typo, it was late lol.

If all you are using is the information and are expressing that in your own words, you don't need to get permission. Just list the source material in the back of your book.

Copyright protects only the manner in which information or ideas are expressed, not the information or ideas themselves.

You usually reference a work to back up a statement you are making or to argue against the conclusions someone else has drawn. You can't use a work as the sole basis of your own argument and then simply reference the work. This is why you don't have to get permission to reference a work; you are not using it to create your own work.

For example you could say 'various researchers have found that jogging causes stress to the knees' and then reference works by various authors.

Or, you could say 'Professors X, Y and Z state that jogging causes stress to the knees but I have found no evidence of this.'

You couldn't write a book about how jogging causes stress to the knees without doing any research yourself and by simply inputting the research that someone else has done, and then referencing the other author's work. To be on the safe side, there should be a reason why your book needs to exist, apart from earning you money, and proper credit should be given to anyone whose arguments and research you used to reach the conclusions you have.

• potetjppotetjp Bibliophile

You dont have to ask permission to quote. You just use quotation marks, add the reference in parentheses / round brackets, and enter the work in your bibliography.

To me, a didactic book without quotations is highly suspicious, particularly after I discover the author used a quotation without quotation marks nor any reference, as though he had come up with the idea by himself.

"Right to quote or right of quotation or quotation right is one of thecopyright exceptions[1] provided by the Berne Convention, article 10: «It shall be permissible to make quotations [...] provided that their making is compatible with fair practice, and their extent does not exceed that justified by the purpose».[2] With different language, it was already present in the 1908 revision of the treaty.[3]"  (Wikipedia)

• Someone once joked, "If you quote one person, it's plagiarism; if you quote twenty people, it's research."

I like to always try to be on the research side...

• Always safe to get permission if in doubt.