Formatting help

I had downloaded a Word template for my textbook and pasted my contents in that template and reformatted. I may have deleted a couple of section breaks, but now I just realized that my margins are off. For a 8.5x11 portrait document, in "Page Setup -> Margins", its showing that top and bottom margins are 1" each, and the inside and outside margins are 1.25". Importantly, the Gutter is set to zero.  Header and footer are each 0.5" from edge. 

I saw a video saying that the gutter should be 0.3". In that example, the margins were 0.5". I am unsure whether I should change margins, gutter, etc. in my document. I am especially confused since I thought I was working off a template where these would be preset. Any thoughts?

Thanks again,

Sid

Comments

• To be clear, I typed in the Style Guide and not the Template. And, i typed in the 97-2003 style guide initially, and then saved as docx when I started working on index, etc. Only one of my computers has Word 2013, so I was using my old Word 2003 as long as I could...
  • Em_PressEm_Press Professor

.3 is a suggestion. Not a requirement. Unless your book is 740 pages, .2 is more than enough. For mirrored margins.

The way your template has it set up, they have increased the inner margins instead of using a gutter. Same thing essentially.

This is what I recommend:

.5 top, bottom, left, right (margins), .5 footer, header, .2 gutter.

A citizen of the world.

• I have no idea how to create a message, so I'll ask this: Does Lulu offer the option of printing on acid-free paper?

• According to this official page:

"Lulu uses FSC certified, lead-free, acid-free, buffered paper made from wood-based pulp. Our paper meets the ISO 9706 standard for permanent paper. As such, Lulu paper will last several hundred years when stored in an optimal environment."

• Thank you; that helps.

• Em_Press wrote:

.3 is a suggestion. Not a requirement. Unless your book is 740 pages, .2 is more than enough. For mirrored margins.

The way your template has it set up, they have increased the inner margins instead of using a gutter. Same thing essentially.

This is what I recommend:

.5 top, bottom, left, right (margins), .5 footer, header, .2 gutter.

I tried this. It worked. Thanks!

Now, I have a feeling that Word does not know which my inside margin is, versus outside margin, and therefore might be getting the gutter wrong. Will this happen, or is Word smart enough not to make this mistake?

Weirdly, my document doesn't have a page 14 (I dont know how this happened, the next sequential page after 13 is page 15 if i watch the page count at the bottom). My pages start getting numbered (from page 1) from the 23rd page of the document (the first 22 pages are front matter). So, all even-numbered pages are on the left in the 2-page view on the screen (usually, even pages would be on the right, since page 1, a right hand side page in the document, usually shows up on the left on the screen). This is making me concerned that something is off; I don't know what exactly. Any ideas?

• In fact, I just noticed that the section break on the first page of the document (the title page) is being referred to as "Section Break (Even Page). This is strange, because the first page of the document should be, clearly, an "odd" page.

• This may be irrelevant because the section break between the first and second page may be referring to the second page I.e the even page and not the first (odd) page.
    But the issue of a missing page 14 and seeing even pages on the left side on the computer instead of on the right side remains. I'd appreciate any suggestions.
    Thanks,
    Sid
  • I figured this out. If someone has the same problem and needs help, I'm happy to discuss; please message me. Its too complicated to explain here. But, essentially, the template has been very smartly created!

Thanks!