Advice on font formatting textbook in M.S. Word

Hello!

I'd please like some advice on formatting my 250-page textbook in finance. I am working in Microsoft Word, and have almost all of the typing / formatting done. The book is going to be printed in letter/ A4 size. Body of the text is in Garamond 12 size font, but I need to have 4 levels of headers within a chapter, including from the chapter header. I have a large font chapter header, caps 13 font as the section headers, regular bolded 12 font for the sub-section headers. I need another level of headers and also headers for tables and figures, etc. I'm running out of ideas for fonts and would appreciate suggestions.

Specific questions:

1) is it ok to combine fonts? e.g. some headers in Garamond and some in Calibri? Can I mix Serif and Sans Serif fonts? Are there standard norms in the publishing industry, or is it a case of "anything works, as long as it looks nice" ?

2) Another alternative is to use a different color (grey) for the lowest level of headers, in addition to the above headers. What do you think?

3) What fonts have other people used? How does one get around this? aside from the headers and the body, we need so many fonts, such as emphasis, keywords, etc. If I stick only to Garamond, how do i get this done?

4) Numbering the headers makes it look messy i.e. 3.2.2.4 but makes it logically organized. Is it necessary to number headers, or can I do without it?

Thanks,

Sid

Comments

• potetjppotetjp Bibliophile

sidd_d a écrit :

250-page textbook in finance [...] in letter/ A4 size. Body of the text is in Garamond 12 size font, but I need to have 4 levels of headers within a chapter, including from the chapter header.

Hello,
    This is what I generally do. Keeping the whole text in Times new Roman 12pts, I use the following options for my titles and subtitles.

1. EXTRA LARGE

1.1. VERY LARGE

1.1.1. LARGE

1.1.1.1. NORMAL (but still in upper case letters)

A sample:

titres.jpg

sidd_d a écrit :

1) is it ok to combine fonts? e.g. some headers in Garamond and some in Calibri? Can I mix Serif and Sans Serif fonts? Are there standard norms in the publishing industry, or is it a case of "anything works, as long as it looks nice" ?

The best is to have a single font. Normally combining fonts is not done, unless you need to introduce math formulae or foreign words in a non-Latin alphabet as in the samples below.

algorithm.jpg

Japanese.jpg

• Thank you very much, potetjp!

You are welcome. Smiley Happy