Nuts and Bolts

I’m coming down the homestretch! Well... I think I am. This is my first experience creating an eBook so I need a little help from my friends here at Lulu. When I upload a manuscript—to go from docx to ePUB—I then download it into my iBook app so that I can review and edit (make highlights and notations). Then, I go back into the manuscript to make appropriate changes, delete the previous upload from the site, delete the eBook from iBook, upload the new and corrected manuscript, and do it all over again. So far, it seems to be working. I have certainly learned a lot in this endeavor. But now, I have some questions: 1) Is the temporary eBook that shows up on my iBook app the way it will look when it is finally published, not counting the cover? 2) Is there an app out there with which I can create my own book cover and upload it onto the site? I cannot afford to hire someone to do it for me. 3) In the section “Describe Your Project,” is the description the same as what would be on the back cover of a printed edition? ........I apologize in advance for the lengthy post, but I could use all help I can get. Thank you. Regards, Ari

Comments

• After uploading the ebook there is a link on the same page to download and view it. Download Adobe digital edition from this site or here http://www.adobe.com/solutions/ebook/digital-editions.html after it's installed you click the link after upload and this program will open it and you can see what it's going to look like. If you do it after publishing it will show the cover as well. Yes the book description will be the same as the back of the paperback. If you use the cover wizard at the end of the wizard there are plain type covers you can use but I go to http://www.publicdomainpictures.net and download pictures there. I usually email the creator for permission but they always say yes. Just make sure there are no copyrighted names or people's faces in the photo but most are safe there. You can also download Gimp off the internet which is a free graphic design program or photoshop or corel draw which cost and take a while to learn.

• For graphics such as book covers there are three options:

1. Upload an image you found somewhere and let Lulu add the title and author.

2. Use a "bitmap" design product such as GIMP to create your own.

3. Use a "vector" design product such as Inkscape to create your own.

But for ebooks there is a distinction between the "marketing image" whicl Lulu creates and a front cover page embedded in the ebook, which Lulu does not create (you have to add it yourself first). I found this really confusing because when people talk about the "front cover" of an ebook they are often talking about the marketing image.