Images for Epub in Open Office.

My next epub will need to be in Open Office since I cannot open it in Word (too big). Does anyone have any experiance working with images/figures in Open Office for epub? "Anchor to Paragraph" seems to be equivalent to "in line with text" but my concern is the figure/caption. Will the latter convert and stay with the image?

Comments

• potetjppotetjp Professor Professor

unclephil a écrit :

My next epub will need to be in Open Office since I cannot open it in Word (too big). Does anyone have any experiance working with images/figures in Open Office for epub? "Anchor to Paragraph" seems to be equivalent to "in line with text" but my concern is the figure/caption. Will the latter convert and stay with the image?*

My wordprocessor is Wordperfect. If you opt for "anchor to paragraph", either you accept the default position, or you decide about the position of the picture relative to the left margin or the right margin. You can also modify its position relative to the top of the paragraph. 
    Otherwise, still with WP, you can anchor your picture to a character or to a page. There no possibility of anchoring a picture to a line.

• Paul_LuluPaul_Lulu Admin Admin

"Anchor to Paragraph" does, in my experience, work just like "In Line".

In terms of the caption, it should be linked to the image, but I'm honestly not sure. The best thing to do would be to try converting with the caption and see how it looks once the EPUB is made.

• Em_PressEm_Press Professor Professor

I haven't used Open Office in years, but in Word I simply center the caption, no indent, 11 point and create a Style just for captions. It is full proof.

A citizen of the world.

• I would be using Word, but it won't open documents of more than 512 Mb

• To update. The engine rejected the ODT. I tried a RTF version since I can save in RTF from Open Office but could not open it in word. That got rejected on the ever popular "unknown issue".

I suspect the latter was due to some section breaks that are not really visible when viewing in Open Office. Good news was the image editing I did in Open Office has reduced the file size enough so that an RTF can now be opened in Word. This changed the layout, which I have been correcting.

I think the rejection of ODT may be because how Open Office handles picture captions, which the convertor considers to be text boxes. Word uses a different approach for captions which the convertor seems to tolerate.

Just tested a draft in RTF with the section breaks removed and it was accepted by the convertor.

Conclusion -for documents with captions RTF (and possibly DOC/DOCX) seems to be the only format the conversion engine accepts. I know from long and repeated attempts it will not accept EPUB.

I hope that is of some help to others.

• potetjppotetjp Professor Professor

With Wordperfect, adding a caption to a picture is extremely simple. I am always amazed at the difficulties encountered by users of other wordprocessors.

• Adding the caption in the other systems is simple too. It is getting the epub convertor to process it that is the problem!

BTW -I made a docx copy of the RTF file that was accepted -rejected. On the other hand, a doc version loads up fine in a 1/40th of the time!