Cover, Distribution, and URLs

So I keep seeing things that say we aren't allowed URLs on cover images if we want to distribute - but I can't tell if that's just eBooks or if it applies to print books as well. I'm assuming we're allowed since by default there's a lulu.com link on the back of anything made with the editor, but I wanted to get a clear answer before I order my final proof.

TL;DR: Can you put a URL on the back cover of a print book and still have it elligible for distribution? (It's not a link to a distributor it's a website I set up for my novel, www.sendrask.com if anyone's curious. Smiley Very Happy )

Comments

• Em_PressEm_Press Professor

Yes, of course.

A citizen of the world.

• Retailers like Amazon can reject a book if there is a URL on the cover (front or back), but for a print book they are less likely to reject. So, yes you can use a URL on the cover, and most likely you'll be fine in doing so, but Amazon/Barnes & Noble can opt to reject the listing.

• potetjppotetjp Teacher

Why don't you put your the URL of your site in the copyright page of your book?

Scyoni, I have added a url on cover over 500 times. Never rejected

A citizen of the world.

• 500 huh? Smiley Tongue Well my URL is small and harmless so I'll risk it I suppose. 

Thanks for the info everyone.

Actually, Scyoni, I spent all last night thinking about that 500. It was a quick estimation, and I don't think it's correct.

I have no idea how many I've done for friends and family. But, there were several.

A citizen of the world.

• Just to clarify my earlier comment, our distribution won't reject a print book with a URL on the back cover, and they said they haven't actually seen Amazon or B&N reject for a URL (unless it is something obvious, like a link to a competitor site). 

But, the standard for acceptance that Amazon provides allows them to reject for a URL on the cover, so they could, if they wanted to, reject for the URL.

As EM said, if you're just linking your author site, you should be fine.