How long does a book take to appear in Waterstones online?

My book has made an appearance on Amazon and Barnes and Noble and other online retailers.

However, I am also very keen to get it on Waterstones, which I presume should happen automatically when approved for Global Reach.

Does anybody know how long it takes?

Comments

• oncewasoncewas Librarian

Self-published books are not distributed to bricks-and-mortar bookstores. If Waterstones wanted to stock your book they would have to order it from one of the distribution channels.

Chances of having a self-published book stocked by a bricks-and-mortar bookstore are pretty slim, for these reasons:

Self-published books are much more expensive, per unit, than commercially published books.

The author is unknown and the pot of money which commercial publishers have to throw at promoting a book does not exist so even if they stock the book chances are slim that anyone will want to buy it.

Bookstores receive a deep discount from publishers.

Bookstores operate on a 'sale or return basis'. If they order a large volume of books and no one wants to buy them they send them back to the publisher.

• I know what you are saying, but I am talking about waterstones online, where they can get virtually any book in print for a customer. 

• potetjppotetjp Teacher

I have just discovered that some of my books are carried by Waterstone. Like all the others they can be delivered to the customer's address or one of their outlets. So I don't see why yours shouldn't be distributed by them. You'll probably have to wait several weeks until it is displayed in their catalogue.

https://www.waterstones.com/books/search/term/jean+paul+g++potet

• oncewasoncewas Librarian

I stand corrected. You live and learn.

• potetjppotetjp Teacher

danielblue a écrit :

I stand corrected. You live and learn.

Mind you. This doesn't mean Waterstones has copies on its shelves. Since these are BODs, the customer has to order one from them either on-line or from one of their outlets.