compound book

I am currently working on an inquisition report by the Archbishop of Manila made in 1686. The PDF of the document is supplied by the Spanish archives of the Indies.

As I prefer to work on printed documents, I tried to have the file printed by Lulu as a private book, but the Spanish PDF was refused because its margins varied.

I therefore created a WordPerfect copy, each page of the PDF being imbedded as a picture in the WP file. Its total number of pages was made divisible by 4 by adding the necessary blank pages at the end.

As it is too large, I had to divide it into 4 sub-files.

PARDO-A-104_119-2016-06-01

PARDO-B-120_140-2016-06-01

PARDO-C-141_161-2016-06-01

PARDO-D-162_184-2016-06-01

I uploaded the batch to Lulu through SmartFTP. In Lulu, these files are listed in the order of reception, the one at the top of the heap being D. I selected the four files together and had them copied in my project.

I thought Lulu would print the file in the right order: ABCD. It didn't. Instead, they are printed in the reverse order: DCBA!

This is an interesting experience that taught me a lesson. I should have had the files copied separately in the project: first A, then B, then C, and finally D. I'll make a new edition to see if they are printed in the right order, ABCD.

A secondary and minor consequence is that the extra blank pages at the end of D being now inside the book, and the last page of A not being blank, the printer had to add 5 blank pages to make the new total divisible by 4. 

Comments

• Em_PressEm_Press Professor

Jean-Paul, you can combine PDFs using Adobe Pro (even a Trial Version will do),  you can delete any blank pages and instruct it to print the compilation in a particular size. Muche easier and no risk.

A citizen of the world.

• potetjppotetjp Professor

Em_Press a écrit :

Jean-Paul, you can combine PDFs using Adobe Pro (even a Trial Version will do),  you can delete any blank pages and instruct it to print the compilation in a particular size. Muche easier and no risk.

I always upload PDF files. The A, B, C and D files I sent Lulu through SmartFTP are PDF files. My PDF converter is PDF995.

• Have a look at the file upload page.The files are compiled based on the displayed order on the file upload step.

Are the files listed in the proper order A-D or D-A?

If the former, contact support, there is a problem.

If the latter, you will need to reorder the files using the green arrows in the file list.

• potetjppotetjp Professor

Glenn_Lulu a écrit :

Have a look at the file upload page.The files are compiled based on the displayed order on the file upload step.

Are the files listed in the proper order A-D or D-A?

If the former, contact support, there is a problem.

If the latter, you will need to reorder the files using the green arrows in the file list.

Thanks a lot, Glenn. How right you are! I should have noticed the files are given in the DCBA order. I used the green arrows to place them in the ABCD order, and it's very easy.

Also I had neglected to download the print-ready Lulu file. I have just done it, and saw the files are now in the right order.

Finally, I had overlooked the fact that after the creation of the cover, the book profile displays the order of the files. I was so overconfident that I didn't even bother to have a look. This last feature is very useful.

Again, thank you so much.