Fonts

Could someone suggest  which font and size is best suited for a childrens printed book please?

Comments

• potetjppotetjp Bibliophile

daisybell a écrit :

Could someone suggest  which font and size is best suited for a childrens printed book please?

If you mean children in the 8-10 age bracket, I'd suggest Arial in 14pts.

• Ron MillerRon Miller Professor

What age is your intended reader?

daisybell a écrit :

About 6 to 8 I suppose.  I know I should be more precise but I really am not sure.

These young readers have reached the reading stage. They need large types. Now I think 16pts is preferable.

Why are you unsure? What readership are you targeting with your books?

• Ron MillerRon Miller Professor

You are probably going to get as many answers as there are people answering you.

You might go to a library and get a handful of traditionally published books in the age range you are looking for. See which ones you think look best or seem to agree the most with one another and measure the point size.

WWDowd a écrit :

Looking at my 6 yr old granddaughters books, about 12 point Times New Roman seems popular.

In what size?

• Font? About 12 point.  She is reading 50-100 page chapter books now. Only about a third of the pages have pictures in most of them.  Is that what you are asking?

WWDowd a écrit :

Font? About 12 point.  She is reading 50-100 page chapter books now. Only about a third of the pages have pictures in most of them.  Is that what you are asking?

At 6, your granddaughter is already that advanced in reading skills! Congratulations.

Generally at 6, children are just beginning to read. Their books have very few simple sentences per page, and the font size is large.

• Thank You potetjp. Never really thought about it, just asked her to bring me out 4 or 5 of her favorites.  We try to have the grandkids pick out a book they want once or twice a month and we get it for them if they haven't been too rotten.