Title suggestions

Dad is starting to ask how much longer on his book and I haven't even started. I really need a title to give me a little anchor to start with. The book is about dad's life growing up in the Appalachians, being in Korea during the war, and his life as a Christian losing 3 wives and his feelings about that. I wanted to leave out the last part but it will probably be a legacy to be left behind for the family. Not sure if anyone would want to read it from Amazon but it would make dad happy if I get it done.

Comments

• An Appalachian Life

Young Man in the Holler

Memories of Simpler Times

• Thanks Skoob those aren't bad. By the way we have two sales on Amazon that we didn't get paid for in Feb. I'm working with support to get them but apparently Amazon deleted the sales records and there's nothing on here to prove it either. Still trying. Thanks for the suggestions!

• Glad to help.

It's possible the books were returned to Amazon or something like that. I can't see why else they'd delete the records.

• Biography of a Rural Man

The Making of a Man

The Path Taken

The title really needs to fit how the book is written and perhaps an indication of the knowledge inside.  Thinking of a fitting title would be a lot easier with the knowledge of what you want to say (biography, path of growth, historical microcosm etc.) IMHO

• Em_PressEm_Press Professor

Shadow, this is how you will hit three markets:

The Appalachians: Being in Korea During the War and How I Survived.

You must keep every word of it. You will hit the people who like the Appalachians and will read anything about it (and dream of going there -- travellers), you will hit people who are interested in the Korean War (and sub-markets -- history buffs, war buffs),

and you will hit Survival buffs. Huge market.

You will have to do no marketing. They will find you. Travellers, Survivalists, and Korean war afficionados. Three markets.

You must keep the word "being" as well. It's active and connotes relevancy, currency, activity. Title exactly like that. You will sell.

A citizen of the world.

• potetjppotetjp Teacher

Three Wives, and Still Alive

• potetjp wrote:

Three Wives, and Still Alive

Smiley Very Happy I detect a note of cynicism... Smiley Very Happy

• Maggie you exactly right. It's what I wanted in the first place but dad started going off on a tangent and getting more into the wife thing instead of Korea. I'm trying to get more of it and the Appalachian life as well. You people are so smart. Wish I knew more about this but I'm just someone who likes to write but without the skills. All help and advice from everyone is greatly appreciated. My question is though, I'm sure I need to add just a little fiction here and there to dress it up and bring the reader in. Would that be OK?
  • As you know I used the wizard here for most of my covers. Dad suggested that I use one of his old war photos on the cover. I agree. Any ideas there as well. I have a few photos of his family and war photos from Prison camp 9 but they are old and may not print well. But well enough to pass I hope.

• Skoob the two books were purchased by a woman at our martial art school for her grandchildren. She confirmed that she got them. I asked her for a confirmation number as support suggested. She told me the Amazon had deleted her sale reports back as far as November and didn't even show her Christmas purchases. Support can't do anything yet. We also have one sale for $0.00 from Scribd. I have one on my account as well. Paul said there were others but Scribd is being slow in responding.
  • potetjppotetjp Teacher
    Without some humour, a biography can be dead boring.
  • potetjppotetjp Teacher

Shadowmonkey a écrit :
    My question is though, I'm sure I need to add just a little fiction here and there to dress it up and bring the reader in. Would that be OK?

If I were you, I shouldn't do that. Reality is so rich that if you carefully examine everything he went through you'll realize you needn't add any fiction.

It's just a matter of style. I'd suggest you write in the third person, something like that:

"When John Nathaniel Appalachian was born, the whole farm was busy running after a stray cow, and when his father came back to announce the good news, he almost fell on his knees when he saw the tiny marvel his wife had produced without much ado. After he had recovered from the shock, he opened the family Bible, and chanced upon [here a passage that would fit].

That night, the full moon was on. Half-asleep, he was already making plans for the time when the boy would be a teenager, and help him with his work. Perhaps he could expand the farm by buying old Ben Stiffler's Nightingales' Meadow,  when suddenly the baby started crying, demanding to be fed. .........."

Well, you see what I mean.

• potetjppotetjp Teacher

Shadowmonkey a écrit :

Dad suggested that I use one of his old war photos on the cover. I agree. Any ideas there as well. I have a few photos of his family and war photos from Prison camp 9 but they are old and may not print well. But well enough to pass I hope.

Better use such photos as illustrations, and keep your cover timeless. I'd rather see a colour picture of where he lived in the Appalachians, perhaps turned into a watercolour with Photoshop, but not necessarily if the photograph is artistic enough by itself.

• potetjppotetjp Teacher

WandRBooks a écrit :
    Skoob the two books were purchased by a woman at our martial art school for her grandchildren. She confirmed that she got them. I asked her for a confirmation number as support suggested. She told me the Amazon had deleted her sale reports back as far as November and didn't even show her Christmas purchases. Support can't do anything yet. We also have one sale for $0.00 from Scribd. I have one on my account as well. Paul said there were others but Scribd is being slow in responding.

• Em_PressEm_Press Professor

No, no, people like Memoirs. Get more real information and find a creative way to dress it up Truthfully.

Remember James Frey of A Million Little Pieces? He got in so much trouble for calling it a memoir and making up bits and pieces.

A citizen of the world.

• You may be best served by taking a picture of "the old homestead" with a rocker out front with an old combat helmet on the seat and an old M1 leaning against it.  Maybe some worn combat boots under it.  Keep the rocking chair prominent so the title and your name do not cut into that part of the image but the items are clear.  If you want to suggest liaison's, a couple of mason jars half full on a stump (As if being used) with ice and condensation.  Take several shots from several angles so you have some choices.  If you can grab shots at different times of day to try out different shading.

Also if there needs to be more action in the story keep talking to your dad. The anecdotes that he will remember as you talk will give you material.  You may not get a lot from one sitting though, it may be several chats with your dad to get what you needs.  And besides, I think you will both learn something of each other from the experience.  

• Shadowmonkey wrote:
    Maggie you exactly right. It's what I wanted in the first place but dad started going off on a tangent and getting more into the wife thing instead of Korea. I'm trying to get more of it and the Appalachian life as well. You people are so smart. Wish I knew more about this but I'm just someone who likes to write but without the skills. All help and advice from everyone is greatly appreciated. My question is though, I'm sure I need to add just a little fiction here and there to dress it up and bring the reader in. Would that be OK?

I don't know that I'd put fiction, but you might tell some of it as anecdotes, you know, with your dad's voice as much as possible, but maybe dressed up a bit grammatically.

"So there I was, in my foxhole, and there were thousands of Chinese, coming down that hill in droves, blowing bugles and screaming like gangbusters. I've never been that scared before nor since ... "

Something where the reader can see into your father's mind a little, and see the scene as he saw it. Don't make it antiseptic and historical -- "On May third, 1951, Private W*********** was in a foxhole. He stated that above ten thousand PLA soldiers approached their position... " -- Yeah, don't do that.

As much as you can, tell each story as he told the stories to you.

• potetjp wrote:
    Without some humour, a biography can be dead boring.

That is the truth.

Biography needs something to make it interesting to other people.

• Shadowmonkey wrote:

As you know I used the wizard here for most of my covers. Dad suggested that I use one of his old war photos on the cover. I agree. Any ideas there as well. I have a few photos of his family and war photos from Prison camp 9 but they are old and may not print well. But well enough to pass I hope.

I'm going to steal a note from Ron:

As you look at each picture, ask yourself: Does this one photo tell me what this story is about? Does it catch my eye? Does it make me want to read the story?

(What Ron actually said was that the cover, even if the words were in Cyrillic letters, should tell you enough about the book to make you want to read it. I paraphrase here...)