Margins T & B with HDR

Okay ... please review with me the manuscript page dimensions ...

I understand standard minimum requirements (L and R margins match; T and B margins match ... all min. 0.5") With Gutter at Left at 0.25".

MY QUESTION IS THIS:

How to set Top and Bottom margins with a header for page numbers and book title? I do not want a footer.

The Top of page will look similar to this for odd numbered page (aligned to far right of the top of the page):

Book Title  |  231

Total page count in my book is 316.

SO, if top and bottom margins must be equal, what is your recommendation for the margins (with header only)?

Thanks for suggestions and help.

Comments

• Em_PressEm_Press Professor

Hmm...keep a footer even if you put nothing there.

Header: .5

Footer: .5

Margins: .5  all around (mirror margins)

Gutter . 2

If your book is over 400 pages make the gutter .3.

A citizen of the world.

• Em_Press wrote:

Hmm...keep a footer even if you put nothing there.

Header: .5

Footer: .5

Margins: .5  all around (mirror margins)

Gutter . 2

Grrr ... this will not work!!!!

Header is smashed tight into the text!!!

It will work. 100%.

Give the header its own style and set it at 12 after (spacing under Paragraph)

A citizen of the world.

• Em_Press wrote:

It will work. 100%.

Give the header its own style and set it at 12 after (spacing under Paragraph)

I use very old software, and the language in your response is not one I understand.

My computer is a 16-year-old XP Pro, and the MS Word I use is just as old.

I'll figure it out.   Robot Happy

• potetjppotetjp Professor

I also work with a desktop that runs under Windows XP, bought in 2004, and do not use my new computer bought in 2014, because it is under Windows 8.1, which to me is an abominable mess.

I don't understand these margin problems that crop up in this forum from time to time. My wordprocessor is WordPerfect. I generally set my margins at about 2cm. They are equal without gutter. If I add a header, everything is automatically adjusted. Ditto with footnotes. The printed result is always perfect.

• potetjp wrote:

I also work with a desktop that runs under Windows XP, bought in 2004, and do not use my new computer bought in 2014, because it is under Windows 8.1, which to me is an abominable mess.

I don't understand these margin problems that crop up in this forum from time to time. My wordprocessor is WordPerfect. I generally set my margins at about 2cm. They are equal without gutter. If I add a header, everything is automatically adjusted. Ditto with footnotes. The printed result is always perfect.

Thank you for your comment, poletip.

You said, "if I add a header..." Don't you use page numbering for the body of your manuscript? If so, are these not in a header or footer?

On "Page setup" I set margins and footers. Not so with your WordPerfect?

I use Microsoft Word, created 2001.

Hi Joseph,

Have a look at the screenshot. Let me know if you need a screenshot on how to created a new quick style (optional).

space 12 after header.jpg

A citizen of the world.

• Em_Press...

I tried your screenshot instructions. Thanks, but it messed with the paragraphs in my manuscript. Immediately I rejected the change. Went back to my manual settings.

The manuscript may not be perfect, but it looks good on the screen. So I'll upload it to Lulu, look at the PDF for print. If this looks acceptable I'll order a review copy. If the print book looks good -  I'll go global.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Joseph

Hello, josephbabinsky,

Header, footer, footnote and page number are four different things that are not mutually exclusive. Yes, the pages of all my books are numbered. The page number places itself automatically under the last line; I don't have to calculate anything.

• I use a header with the page number within the header along with a brief title/description.

On odd pages the header show the book title, and the page number (odd #).

On even pages the header shows the section: Part Three - Transition, along with the page number (even #).

josephbabinsky a écrit :

I use a header with the page number within the header along with a brief title/description.

On odd pages the header show the book title, and the page number (odd #).

On even pages the header shows the section: Part Three - Transition, along with the page number (even #).

Oh, good!

For my correspondence, I have a footer with my name, the date and the page number.