Print-Ready File Error

Hello,

I'm trying to do a print book with a PDF from InDesign. I keep getting a very non-specific error message when going through the "Make Print-Ready File" step. I've tried re-exporting with many different settings, even with the export settings file from Lulu and still no luck. I have no idea what the problem with the file is, so I keep making adjustments while in the dark as to what the problem could be. 

Relevant (?) info about file:

The file has a lot of text, a lot of images, some drawings & diagrams

- Text is Garamound

- Some images are jpgs, others are pngs

- Drawings and diagrams are PDFs

- Some images are in RGB

- Exporting for full bleed

I havent seen anything that says any of these items would be problematic, but I'm just trying to figure out what could be going wrong.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Comments

• Em_PressEm_Press Professor

Try printing your PDF with another PDF converter like DoPDF or Adobe Pro.

A citizen of the world.

• The whole book is in InDesign, how do I get that file to export through other software?

Install DoPDF on your computer. It is free.

http://www.dopdf.com/download.php

Open your InDesign book file, click on File/Print -- select printer (DoPDF), wait till file prints, save to the folder of your choice.

A citizen of the world.

btw, name it Do_your title so that you can differentiate it from the others.

I use it all the time. It's fantastic.

A citizen of the world.

• Bummer, looks its not compatible with MacOS. Any other thoughts on what could be wrong with the file?

• I see your support case and I escalated to put it in front of the right people. Hopefully they'll be able to help figure out why the file won't convert and contact you with some guidance shortly.

jn,  they have a version for Mac.

http://dopdf-free-pdf-converter.soft112.com/

"If you use a MAC you're in luck, as by default your operating system includes a program that allows you to generate files in PDF format. But on Windows things are a bit more complicated, as you need to have a program installed that lets you convert printable documents into portable ones (PDF). Such programs are called PDF Creators/Converters/Writers, and the good part is that there are quite a few available for free."

A citizen of the world.

• Em_press:

I should point out the PDF functionality built into OSX may make PDFs good enough to run off a copy at the local copy center, but not good enough to upload to Lulu. Found that out while poking around on this site.

A decent workaround would be to have the OP output the file as Postscript (on the same menu as the PDF output option in OSX that I just mentioned).