Help! I just can not get it to format right!

I have followed the details on how to format your document for ePub, and the TOC comes out fine. But, the titles just slide into the text and there are no spaces or returns between paragraphs.

I have done the formatting right, and tried saving in different formats, and even downloaded different editing software, but STILL I just can not get any of the formatting apart from "TOC" and "new page for a Heading" work.

What am I doing wrong?

Phew!

WB

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

I have followed the details on how to format your document for ePub, and the TOC comes out fine. But, the titles just slide into the text and there are no spaces or returns between paragraphs.

Have you used multiple carriage returns?

I have done the formatting right, and tried saving in different formats, and even downloaded different editing software, but STILL I just can not get any of the formatting apart from "TOC" and "new page for a Heading" work.

What's "new page for heading"?

• I took a look at the file you're using, and I think you just need to add a carriage return after your Heading styles.

• Em_PressEm_Press Professor

Heallo Prose,

You need to modify your Heading 1 style and Normal style by right-clicking on the Heading style and choosing Modify. When you are there, go into Paragraph and add space After or Before.

Reupload your doc and see the result.

If you need more space, go back and add some more -- or less, indents, no indents... play around with it till you love it.

Good luck.

A citizen of the world.

• The conversion process removes carriage returns, so will that help?

When you start a new chapter (Heading 1) it begins a new pages for you. That works.

• Thank you, Paul.

I shall try that, but I thought that my file already had plenty in. I shall let you know how I get on.

• Thank you, Em Press,

I have done that several times, but it seems to ignore the mods, even though they HAVE been saved.

• marquesamarquesa Creator

I had a similar thing with the TOC picking up the text. I found that if I put a hard return in before and after each heading, highlighted the heading and applied the style after this it resolved the problem. Only needed to put in one hard return after the title, though and a few soft returns before to bring it away from the top of the first page. At least it worked with the Word 2007 program I use.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

ProsePirate wrote:

The conversion process removes carriage returns, so will that help?

When you start a new chapter (Heading 1) it begins a new pages for you. That works.

I am just looking at one of mine that has every chapter in the TOC. HS1 does start a new 'page', so there's no need to create one any other way, but it would possibly benefit from a space between a chapter title and the following text.