Lulu 6x9 Formatted Document Not Working for Me

Hello,

I'm extremely confused by the 6x9 formatted document that Lulu provides and I'm wondering if I can get any help.  After downloading it, and not doing anything to it yet, the page numbers are already wrong.  It goes from xi to xiii with two pages directly next to each other.

When I start deleting pages I don't need, or adding pages, it does not correct.  Sometimes, it even skips page numbers, and when I go manually add them in, it starts adding in page numbers before the table of contents.  I have no idea what is going on with this formatting.

If someone could help me, I would really appreciate it!

Thank you.

Comments

• Em_PressEm_Press Professor

Hello swaite,

This is my best advice:

Do not use a template. It has so many things that will make no sense to you and you will spend more time undoing than just formatting your book.

Get a new Word document, set your own margins, set your own spacing and page numbers, your own headings. It is much easier.

Look up tutorials on youtube if you get stuck, or come here and watch the videos, ask us for tips... There is a lot of help everywhere.

A citizen of the world.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

I agree.

By the time one has worked out where all the defaults are set, and learned how to set them to your own options, you will have learned how to make your own template. So you may as well learn how to as stage one.   Smiley Happy

Word has a lot of How To built in, and there's lots of help with Word on line.

• To expand on this, our suggested margins for a print book are:

0.5" margins (sides, top, bottom).

0.5" Header/Footer

0.3" Gutter (with mirrored margins).

If you're making your own template, be sure to change the page size to your book's final page size first too (Word defaults to 8.5 x 11 generally). 

• Hello Swaite

As the person who created that "Style Guide," I can provide some information to clarify what you are seeing.

There are page breaks included in the front matter pages to ensure the next page starts on an odd page - the page on the right side of the book. MS Word does not display these blank pages - hence the missing even numbered pages.

On the first page of the style guide, there is a recomendation to display formatting marks. If you follow that recommendation, you will see the page break designation.

"Tip: When formatting your masterpiece, we recommend you view your manuscript with the formatting symbols displayed. This allows you to quickly identify extra spaces, full returns, and section breaks as well as header and footer settings. Click the pilcrow symbol ¶ in the Microsoft Word toolbar to view formatting marks."

And, the document you refer to is a "Style Guide" not a template. The template, as described in the ReadMe file, is a blank, MS Word document that includes recommended margins and gutter settings. It is the file entitled 6x9_Template.

I hope this helps.

• Thank you to everyone for all of your comments! 

I ended up creating my own file; I feel like I learned more than the students!  (I'm publishing a book of my 10th graders' writings).

The right hand margin is smaller than the left, so I'm about to tackle that next, but I figured it all out.  Thank you again.

• I'm wondering, when I adjust the margins, should it the Gutter Position be Left or Top?  It seems to fix the problem if I choose top, but I don't know what works best for Lulu.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

The Gutter should be on the side that is going to be bound, so it's alternate left and right.

• Also make sure you select 'different odd and even pages' to ensure the gutter alternates properly.