Lulu's stance on ebook conversion

I'm starting to get the feeling that Lulu wants me to get frustruated enough to buy their help to upload an e-book. Man, an ebook is a file ... period. And, what? They want me to do what? Follow their steps so that my file interacts with what their program needs. How can I have these ebooks on several locations & Lulu has what? A more complicated process? Don't make sense to me. If they would be more specific about why the file fails to upload I could understand it but to just say basically: try again is no good, not for me.  I'm supposes to guess what their program accepts when Amazon, b&N & other sites already accept my files? Gimme a break. 

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

I'm starting to get the feeling that Lulu wants me to get frustruated enough to buy their help to upload an e-book.

Follow Lulu's simple guide for Word (which means it's far better if you actually own Word) and it's far easier to create a file for an ePub than it is for a printed book. I also publish direct to Amazon for Kindle, and the files they request are much harder to create.

Man, an ebook is a file ... period.

It's not actually. You may only upload a file of pages with words on to be converted to an ePub, but an ePub is a program with other sections in it that then makes use of those words. That's what the Lulu ePub Wizard creates.

And, what? They want me to do what? Follow their steps so that my file interacts with what their program needs.

That's the case with all things that have to be loaded in to some specific program. Do you have a car? What happens if the wrong fuel is put in to it?

How can I have these ebooks on several locations & Lulu has what? A more complicated process? Don't make sense to me.

It's simple. It really is.

If they would be more specific about why the file fails to upload I could understand it but to just say basically: try again is no good, not for me.

Just go over your file while referring to the guide.

I'm supposes to guess what their program accepts when Amazon, b&N & other sites already accept my files? Gimme a break. 

Why are you using Lulu as well then? And do you mean files for a printed book, because they are not the same, and neither are the conversion Wizards.

• Kevin,

You make some good points but the thing is, is that once you do one file it gets easier & easier so, I have 15 books on Kindle because I just kept making the same file format, which I'm sure I can do on any file if they are a little more specific: I am busy writing & hate spending time on this incidental stuff. The thing is if Lulu (or any other printer) would respect the writers (publisher, formatter, etc.) enough to be more specific they would receive that respect back with more business instead of creating a "help team" arm of their company. I realize it's simple for you: as I said it was simple for me on Kindle & Nook but only after I did one. BTW I put "I Am an American" on Amazon as an e-book by submitting a book file: the same one I used for the print book, a print file: same file for both. Don't believe me, go to Amazon & check it out. Simple is what it is. It's just a book of poetry, very short, 70 pages; a poem every page. I'm still debating with myself if I will do an efile here or not. Thanks for your time & knowledge, brother. 

Kevin,

You make some good points but the thing is, is that once you do one file it gets easier & easier so, I have 15 books on Kindle because I just kept making the same file format, which I'm sure I can do on any file if they are a little more specific:

Everything is a learning curve.

I am busy writing & hate spending time on this incidental stuff.

But you are also a SELF-Publisher, so you have to lean the ropes.

The thing is if Lulu (or any other printer)

Lulu are not a printer.

would respect the writers (publisher, formatter, etc.) enough to be more specific they would receive that respect back with more business instead of creating a "help team" arm of their company.

But it's a DIY site used by 1000s a day, and most of those manage to get what they want done, usually by reading the help pages.

I realize it's simple for you:

It was not simple for me at first. In fact I did not even have the software to create a file I could use at Lulu.

as I said it was simple for me on Kindle & Nook but only after I did one.

That's direct. This is Lulu, with a Wizard that has to stick to the clauses of 100s of retail sites.

BTW I put "I Am an American" on Amazon as an e-book by submitting a book file: the same one I used for the print book, a print file: same file for both.

Did you not read Amazon's simple guide on how to create an docx for there mobi wizard? Considering that it asks for a TOC created by Word's own tool, I have no idea how a file for a book managed to work.

BTW. Do you mean a PDF e-book or an ePub?

Don't believe me, go to Amazon & check it out.

How can I without the links?

Simple is what it is. It's just a book of poetry, very short, 70 pages; a poem every page. I'm still debating with myself if I will do an efile here or not.

Just download and read Lulu's how to make a docx for convertion to an ePub. It's really very simple if you know hope to use Word.

Thanks for your time & knowledge, brother. 

I gained it by doing it until I leaned how to. I think my first printed book here had 17 revisions.  Smiley LOL

• In order to have more control, more knowledge and ability are required. Just like driving a manual transmission gives more control, it is also more complicated than an automatic.  The more control options, the more complicated. The more complicated the more required learning.

I am using Lulu's services to publish since I want to make sure the first time is right, but why can't you use the title of the poem as a level 1 Header and provide the "chapters" needed?  I am likely wrong but this seems as if it would take care of the problem.

My biggest wonder is why you expect a lot of time from Lulu professionals that you do not want to pay for? Like everyone else they are people trying to make a living and deserve to be paid for their endeavors, just as you and I hope to be paid for our jobs.  From all I have seen there are thousands of pages of assistance available through this forum, the blog and even free tutorials.  Allow people to make a living and understand that when you do not buy services you do not get services.  There are a few free lunches out there, but they are not ALL free lunches.

It would be great if we could just hand over our manuscripts to some vast publishing house with out having to go through all the time finding one that wants it in the first place, and then leaving it all to them so we can just get on with what we like best - writing.

But this is Self-Publishing, so we are the ones that have to do everything that some major publishing house would do, and it has to be learned. All the things that they do.

All I wish to do is write stories and publish books as good as those major companies do, and it was not a short trip learning how, and due to that I neglect the part that should be done, what those big guys do, market the product also.

These examples are OK for self-publishers.

http://www.authormedia.com/89-book-marketing-ideas-that-will-change-your-life/