best e-book file

I'm just getting ready to upload an e-file to sell through Lulu but I see where it appears as if they want an RTF and I have open office. Anyone familiar with Luls's e-books have an opinion on whether I should switch the file to rtf?

 

Keith G. 

Comments

  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

    There's a few files Lulu's Wizards can convert, not just RTFs. I always upload a docx, because Lulu's Guide is all about creating a docx.

  • Open Office is my program of choice and it uploads fine; no need to switch/convert to RTF. Just make sure you have headings assigned for the title, copyright and chapters or you'll get an error message when you upload.

  • I use Word 2013 with no problems at all on it processing.
  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

    not2esoteric wrote:

    Open Office is my program of choice and it uploads fine; no need to switch/convert to RTF. Just make sure you have headings assigned for the title, copyright and chapters or you'll get an error message when you upload.


    But you still have to tell it what to Save As and Lulu's guides are all based around Docx.

  • 'm just getting ready to put a file in Kevin, so you say that a docx is much better than open office? Because I've always had trouble with doc-x's?


  • kevinlomas wrote:

    not2esoteric wrote:

    Open Office is my program of choice and it uploads fine; no need to switch/convert to RTF. Just make sure you have headings assigned for the title, copyright and chapters or you'll get an error message when you upload.


    But you still have to tell it what to Save As and Lulu's guides are all based around Docx.


    Lulu guides are based around Docx, but Lulu is not MS Word exclusive. A quick look at the e-book Formatting & Publishing article of Supported File Types shows this: 

     

    "Before we can convert your manuscript to an eBook in EPUB file format, it must be saved as a properly formatted DOC, DOCX, RTF, or ODT file." (Highlighting added)

     

    ODT is the file extension for Apache Open Office text documents - and the program knows what to do when the user selects "Save As" - it saves the document as an ODT file, the same way Word saves as a DOC or DOCX. Open Office is actually more user friendly and intuitive than Word and I have never had an issue uploading my ODT files for EPUB conversion.

     

     

     

     

  • O.K. do you send it as ODT or PDF?
  • Upload the ODT file for your e-book. If you're also going to publish a print book, that's when you upload a PDF file.

  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

    klaufenberg wrote:

    'm just getting ready to put a file in Kevin, so you say that a docx is much better than open office? Because I've always had trouble with doc-x's?


    It's often better to use actual Word to create a Docx because other programs may not Save As in the manner that Lulu's Wizards like.

  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

    not2esoteric wrote:

    kevinlomas wrote:

    Lulu guides are based around Docx, but Lulu is not MS Word exclusive. A quick look at the e-book Formatting & Publishing article of Supported File Types shows this: 

     

    The actual PDF guide is purely for Word. The terms used are Word terms throughout even Help (or in the later instructions for those who create an ePub to upload.)

     

    "Before we can convert your manuscript to an eBook in EPUB file format, it must be saved as a properly formatted DOC, DOCX, RTF, or ODT file." (Highlighting added)

     

    Indeed, I am saying that a docx created in the actual Word seems to have far fewer problems going through the Wizards.

     

    ODT is the file extension for Apache Open Office text documents - and the program knows what to do when the user selects "Save As" - it saves the document as an ODT file, the same way Word saves as a DOC or DOCX. Open Office is actually more user friendly and intuitive than Word

     

    It is? Oh. I always got fed up with all the options to Open as, when I fired it up. Word does not ask that.

     

    and I have never had an issue uploading my ODT files for EPUB conversion.

     

    But that's you. the OP is asking which is best and I am saying that most use docx, or even a PDF, often both created via Word.

     

     

     

     


     

  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

    'm just getting ready to put a file in Kevin, so you say that a docx is much better than open office? Because I've always had trouble with doc-x's?

     

    From what I read on the forums it seems to be the case. Some do use OO, though, but seem to upload docxs. Perhaps one gets to know how with practice.

  • I'll try a docx then.

Sign In or Register to comment.