Is there a way to manage books in a series?

I have two books in my South of Forever series, with a third releasing this summer and the fourth in the fall. While setting up my titles, though, I didn't see any way to add series information. Amazon, Kobo, Smashwords, Draft2Digital, etc all have a section where you can add series information (series name, volume number, etc). Is this something that Lulu offers that I'm missing? Or is this something that hasn't been added yet but will in the future?

If there is no option, how can I make sure retailers display my books in series properly?

Thanks for your help!

-Liz

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

I have two books in my South of Forever series, with a third releasing this summer and the fourth in the fall. While setting up my titles, though, I didn't see any way to add series information.

There's no way to do it on Lulu, but it usually says so on the book's cover you create and in the Description.

Amazon, Kobo, Smashwords, Draft2Digital, etc all have a section where you can add series information (series name, volume number, etc).

Lulu also has slots for those details, but only to add to the details on a book's site page as far as I have noticed. It does seem you only mean e-books, though, but I am sure the same applies.

Is this something that Lulu offers that I'm missing?

Not really.

Or is this something that hasn't been added yet but will in the future?

Who knows? It's asked for often but never happens.

If there is no option, how can I make sure retailers display my books in series properly?

I have no idea about sites other than Amazon, and they often list them in order of publication (just as Lulu do) but it could be possible to adjust them on Amazon if you open an account here >>  https://authorcentral.amazon.co.uk/

I notice right now that Amazon now have the option to not only group books in a series, but to also offer group discounts. It may only be for print books though.

• potetjppotetjp Teacher

I think some Lulu authors give the same title to all the books of the series, but, of course, each has its own subtitle.

• Have you thought of putting a colon on the title page before the specific name of the book to let reader's know the name of the series? For example: ABC Book Series: Specific Title Name Goes Here. It could be used as a signal to your reader's that another book is available in the series.
  • Thank goodness for Author Central, right?

Too bad. Hopefully Lulu adds it. I know for example iBooks occasionally promotes indie authors with series. So it's a shame to not be able to mark them as such, other than in the subtitle, cover, description.
  • Yeah, I've been using the subtitle to mark it as "South of Forever, Book 1," 2, etc. Just wondered if there was another way.
  • I've done that. Smiley Happy Just wondered if there was an option in the ebook creation dashboard that I was missing. KDP, for example, has a section where you add the series name and volume.

Oh well. Gotta work with what I've got. I'm using Lulu because my publisher is closing its doors and I have to (and want to) continue paying royalties to my creative team (editor, cover designer, etc).

I've also added "next in series" info to the back matter, so that should help.

potetjp wrote:

I think some Lulu authors give the same title to all the books of the series, but, of course, each has its own subtitle.

Many writers do, it's not uncommon.

maiettaink wrote:
    Thank goodness for Author Central, right?

Too bad. Hopefully Lulu adds it. I know for example iBooks occasionally promotes indie authors with series. So it's a shame to not be able to mark them as such, other than in the subtitle, cover, description.

Well, don't forget the Title as well.  Smiley Happy

Here's one good example of a series >>   http://nadinebrandes.com/2013/09/01/its-been-15-years-since-harry-potter-and-we-survived/

Some well-known writers just stick their name at the top though, big, and title and sub-title is often small.

• Oh, for sure. My covers are a bit different, but they all have the series name: http://elizabethbarone.net/south-of-forever/

But if people know your name they will search for that, and up will pop all of your books. Ditto if they search for the title.

See >>   http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/182-9926543-6565804?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=lilium+saffron+dewbell

I did not put them in that order, so Amazon staff must have.

But if I search for the title and part number then that book is at the top of the list.

As to e-books, I publish direct to Amazon.

• I usually publish direct, too, but I was with a small press and they're going out of business; meanwhile each author had a separate contract with editors, cover designers, etc, and must continue sharing royalties for the duration of the contract. It's a bit of a unique situation but I came to Lulu because they allow you to split royalties. Way cheaper than LLCing and hiring an accountant (which I couldn't do on such short notice).

So I'm returning to the indie world and making the best of what I've got.

maiettaink wrote:
    Oh, for sure. My covers are a bit different, but they all have the series name: http://elizabethbarone.net/south-of-forever/

You would possibly sell more if you removed their clothing   Smiley LOL Their arms cover most bits up.